Luurrrve Day
(Pic copied from MSN.com)I don't believe in Valentine's Day. I'm not anti-Valentine's Day or anything like that, I just think that if V wants to show me his love and buy me a gift, I believe he should feel free to do so on any day of the year! Why should I have to celebrate my love for him on the same day as millions of other people do? Why give in to a marketing ploy meant to provide the bump in sales needed for retail outlets to last until the next big spending day (Mother's Day)? I like to be different and my goal in life is to drive V crazy. And so, Love Day was created. It's a day only for us. We get to decide whenever it is (well I usually decide since V is mostly dragged into it), but for the most part, it's usually sometime in February - because if all this lovey-dovey stuff is on sale now, we might as well make the most of it. And I do like receiving gifts. Who doesn't?!
Love Day is pretty simple, there's only a few easy rules to follow:
- Love Day can fall on any day of the year but you must decide with your partner for a day that's good for both of you.
- You must buy your loved one a love-themed gift (if the gift isn't love-themed then you have to buy a second gift which is).
- The gift has to have some sort of handmade component to it (to show that you actually took some time to make it personal).
- The card can NOT have the word "Valentine" anywhere in it - so select the card carefully because it still must have a love theme (if you find a really cute Valentine's card and trust me there's some gorgeous ones out there, you're allowed to white out the word).
- You don't have to spend a lot - a handmade gift is a lot more thoughtful than a porcelain teddy-bear holding a chocolate heart ... that being said, diamonds are still a girl's best friend.

Dinner at an expensive restaurant is not considered as fun as playing outside in the snow. However, if you're stuck for ideas or lack imagination, a heart-shaped pizza can be considered as fun.
So if you think Valentine's Day is overrated, pagan, or just a money-grabbing opportunity, feel free to adopt Love Day and express your ♥ in a refreshing new way, 'Liya style!
P.S School was cancelled today due to the bad weather and now I have a bag of Hershey's kisses staring me in the face. I was going to give them to my students and have them write a persuasive essay (as part of our essays unit!) arguing for or against Valentine's Day. Now that'll have to wait till tomorrow. I'm tempted, but I won't give in.. or maybe I'll just test one or two... they're the type with the caramel inside..
12 Comments:
At 5:45 p.m.,
nat said…
'liya I'm so thrilled that you put this post on your blog because I totally feel like love shouldnt be expressed one day of the year, if it's "true" it would be expressed all the time! It is a hallmark holiday, like most holidays have become to be, but if you google the tradition it is completely pagan and had to do with the martyred saints of ancient Rome - not what we've come to know today as the social construct of love.
At 6:35 p.m.,
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
At 6:42 p.m.,
'liya said…
Nuffy: Thank you! (You don't know how much I complain to V about Valentine's Day being based on pagan rituals. He thinks I'm making a big deal out of nothing. I do like Halloween though but to me that's different. I don't know how to explain it...I'm just glad you brought up Valentine's pagan roots in your comment because he thinks nobody thinks like me!)
V: I deleted your comment because it was a complaint and only I'm allowed to complain!
At 9:34 p.m.,
Squeeky said…
Assalaamu Alaikum :)
I also don't care much for Valentine's Day. I love making fun of it :) hehe I also don't like it when people mope around because they don't have anybody to share this day with. Who decides the days we want to make someone feel special? It's just silly. Your Love Day sounds cute ... but I'm the kind of person who loves to be surprised and surprise others so I would want my "special someone" to feel that they are not obligated to shower me with things on a specific day and can do it whenever they feel like it :) I'm not that into material goods anyway, although flowers are always nice tee hee
I hope you enjoyed your Snow Day! I did!!
At 12:11 a.m.,
Becky L said…
One of my favorite movie quotes is from "Finding Forester."
'an unexpected gift and an unexpected time'
its so much more romantic to get a gift or special card or whatever for no real reason at all, except that you are loved.
sigh...
At 12:52 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
liya, i love your rules. i'm going to forward them to my significant other and we shall see what he says :P
lol@deleting complaint.
so cute!
At 8:35 p.m.,
'liya said…
[I'm in a shoes mood, sorry guys!]
Squeeky: Hehe, I think my special someone should feel obligated to shower me with things everyday. Shoes are a good start :D
Becky: Very nice! I totally agree! It's even nicer if he knows your foot size though!
Fatima: If it fails, tell him you like shoes :D
At 9:23 p.m.,
Abigail S said…
I love your ideas for "Love Day!"
School was cancelled for us, too. I had LOADS of candy here. It was horrible! PB cups, hershey kisses, kit kats, M&Ms, candy hearts, those mini chocolate bars... Talk about temptation!
Sadly, I gave in a bit.
At 12:41 a.m.,
Umar said…
well, it's only a matter of time now before "Love Day" becomes commercialized also.
At 9:15 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
Liya, he made Love Day today without consulting me on it!
Tsk.
They just don't listen... :P
At 5:28 p.m.,
'liya said…
Abigail: I gave in tooooo :(
Umar: True .. maybe I should start making greeting cards so I can cash in on this :S
Fatima: LOL aww well I guess the surprise of it must have been nice for you! - but remind him of point #1 "Love Day can fall on any day of the year but you must decide with your partner for a day that's good for both of you." - although if he gave you a cool gift than I suppose it makes up for not consulting you!
At 12:33 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
hehe...yeah..gifts are good. always. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home