What were they thinking?!
The following are taken from various essays. Please note my own comments in the brackets - really, that's what I'm thinking when I read some of this stuff. Don't worry, I'm not THAT sarcastic with comments when I'm returning papers.
From essays:
Inside something is troubling her. She is like Michael Jordan when he lost his father because he didn't have time to reflect on the good times they had because of the media and publicity. (Uh, what's with these comparisons!)
He treated her with great care and gentleness like she was a new set of China. (Cute, seems like a nice guy!)
The main character is like a young cadet, they both make amateur mistakes. (Um okay, and the relevance to the topic is?)
If Mrs. Maloney was not an understanding person, I think the bondage between her husband and her would have ended a lot earlier and have ended much faster. (Bondage??? What were YOU reading?!)
If she truly loved him the way it appeared to have been in the story, why all of a sudden kill him? This is something that only magical readers can understand. (What the hell are MAGICAL readers?)
Mary played an important role in the story. Without her there would probably be no story. (No kidding! - She's ONLY the main character!)
The following is taken from 4 different papers that were supposed to answer the question - What effect did the message of the poem have on you?
1. The poem did not affect me at all. (Your answer doesn't do anything for me...).
2. At first I was confused but then I became more confused and wished I hadn't read it.
3. I felt a little dizzy but further on I felt okay. (A period means to take a breath, please don't attempt to read entire poem without breathing.)
4. It made me want to drop English. (I suggest you re-read the poem and come up with a feeling otherwise your mark on this paper will really make you want to drop English).
My ultimate favourite (for obvious reasons hehe) is from an assignment where students had to come up with extended metaphors. One of my more serious students wrote the following:
A new teacher is like a zoo tamer. The animals will not listen to you at first and will get louder and more out of control as they try to take advantage of your "newness." These animals will go crazy and can be very stressful but after awhile you will earn their respect if you're good and they'll get used to you, appreciate you, and even love you.
Awww :D
Now, the ultimate ultimate funniest one is in answer to a response question that was supposed to deal with males and females being treated equally. The question asked what are some of the challenges young males might face today? The ultimate answer? A challenge boys might face today could be when they're dancing instead of playing basketball like more guys, they could get an erection and won't know what to do.
I swear, when I read that last one I almost fell out of my chair laughing. It didn't help that it was from the exam.
I still feel nervous :S
10 Comments:
At 12:00 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
LOLLLLLL...and almost fallin outta my chair on tha very last part...thas hilarious...LOL....kids these days huh?...lol....thanks for tha laugh....
At 5:52 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
LOL!
Kids, gotta love 'em :)
I don't know which is funnier, the younger kids, or older kids..??
lol..thanks for sharing Liya :)
(I feel so special that I got linked! :P)
At 6:36 p.m.,
'liya said…
Samia & Fatima: :D
I'm so happy, school was great!
At 11:24 p.m.,
Asmaa said…
I seriously hope I was never that stupid :D I kind of doubt it though.
What's with 9th graders reading lamb to the slaughter anyways? I hated that story. It was terrible!
At 11:57 p.m.,
Abigail S said…
Talk about hillarious!
That's certainly one of the perks to teaching- hearing the silly/stupid/cute things that kids come up with!
At 12:01 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
HAHA oh my god.. the last one was priceless! What WERE your students thinking?
At 12:34 p.m.,
'liya said…
Asmaa: You have a good memory!!! Haha, I hate Lamb to the Slaughter too (it's just plain weird), but I think most grade 9s read it because they study short stories and this is one teachers think students will find "interesting" .. I'll tell you one thing, their essays analyzing Mary Maloney's character were definitely interesting lol.
Abigail: Oh absolutely! Hehe.
Haleem: I have no clue, all I know is that their minds weren't on the work lol.
At 1:43 p.m.,
mezba said…
This is great stuff. You gave me an idea - I will post up some of my old TA papers soon.
At 4:11 p.m.,
Nabeel said…
haha .. this is cool .. funny to read what students go through and how frustrated they are from inside when it comes to studying. dangg ..
by the way .. isn't all this confidential .. i.e. student teacher relationship?
At 4:59 p.m.,
'liya said…
Mezba: I look forward to reading yours :D
Nabeel: Well I'm not mentioning any names, places, etc. right? I'm quite sure that the students whose work this is wouldn't even remember it being theirs if they were to read it again lol.. but you're right, I probably shouldn't reveal as much no matter how harmless. I need to make my blog more secure :S
Post a Comment
<< Home