To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

The Blog Police

I've been noticing more and more how bloggers out there think it's their responsibility to "patrol" other people's blogs and leave them "advice." I wonder whether we should be giving advice when it isn't asked for... I wonder why we should assume that people want to be "helped." I wonder whether we should assume that people don't know anything to begin with when everyone has a mind of their own, everyone has a conscience, and everyone has a reason for doing the things they want to do in their lives. What satisfaction do others get from "correcting" other people?

I've seen this on so many of the blogs I frequent and I've seen it on my own. Big Brother in any form we should not attempt to be...

After the March Break my students will be reading 1984, Brave New World, & The Handmaid's Tale. I think the books are fitting - maybe not so much for them as for me, but fitting nonetheless.

Today is International Women's Day. When I read the paper this morning, THIS article leapt out at me. It describes what I wanted to say a few blog posts ago but didn't know how.

[...] "are you a practising, authentic Muslim?" This is the first time my "authenticity" as a Muslim has been questioned. This doesn't surprise me. Today Muslim women have to prove their authenticity. The way we dress, the way we choose to practise our faith, our leadership and our daring to be different – all this is under attack by those who want to tell us how to be Muslim according to their interpretations [...]

Back to the subject of the blog police: Petty people are not rare in this world. To quote Margaret Atwood "You can only be jealous of someone who has something you think you ought to have yourself" (The Handmaid's Tale). I often feel want when I see someone who has a gorgeous pair of shoes or someone whose hair always seems to be perfectly in place. I'll wish I could have those shoes, and that my hair could look like that, and then after awhile those feelings go away. But on 'bigger' issues, how can we feel jealous when someone else is experiencing happiness? If someone is happy, why bother them? Why not let them be happy how they want to be happy, and just concentrate on your own happiness? I think there's so much more in this world that we need to concentrate on, like some of the issues listed in the above linked article. THOSE are the important things in life. But we can never help other people, people who desperately need help, unless we stop trying to help people who don't want help at all. We can only get there when we move beyond our own pettiness.

My students are annoyed that I'm assigning them reading over the March Break. Apparently this reduces my coolness status. God forbid, it's English class, I'm not sure what they expected to be assigned, drawing!? :D Well, while they're reading, I'll be catching up on some of my own reading - for pleasure. Anyone want to recommend a good book? I'm only the teeniest bit jealous that many people I know are going away for the break. Okay, change that teeniest to a lot! Well, I'm happy that some people get to do something that makes them happy (like going away to sunny destinations), but I'd love to be that happy too! I'd give anything to be reading my book on a warm sunny beach...

30 Comments:

  • At 12:47 a.m., Blogger mezba said…

    Good book for pleasure? Have you heard of Arthur Hailey? I can recommend his "In High Places" and the "Moneychangers".

     
  • At 12:59 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey 'liya, hope you are well!! Enjoy your week off! Book suggestions...I recommend "Mao's Last Dancer", I just read it a short while ago and it was a wonderful book. Take care!

     
  • At 6:25 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    good post........

     
  • At 9:32 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, i got a GREAT book for you, try reading the QURAN. Take it from someone who has read a couple of your posts, no one is jealous of you, you got nothing to worry about. On the contrary, i think there a few people our there who probably feel sorry for you.

     
  • At 11:24 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Can't read the Quran sitting on a sunny beach yo...

     
  • At 12:05 p.m., Blogger Umar said…

    wow. you anonymous folks really need to find something better to do with your time.

    it's idiots like you who give the rest of us a bad name.

     
  • At 12:19 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have a great week off 'liya! Have you read The Namesake by Jhumpra Lahiri or Interpreter of Maladies?

    BTW, anon is an idiot. Ignore it.

     
  • At 1:30 p.m., Blogger brandy said…

    Ruby read my mind! "The Namesake" by Jhumpra Lahiri is one of my favourites and I heard that it's now being turned into a movie so if you are a gal who likes reading before watching, I suggest it too!

     
  • At 5:44 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The reasons why i don't allow anonymous comments on my blog....
    The list is just endless....

    Hey Anon, I'm jealous of Liya. She is so stunning, and lovely and a great person! I wanna be like her!
    (what a moron...ppl feeling sorry for her...sorry for what? idiot idiot idiot)

    I could be wrong...but I think I'm in a bad mood :/

     
  • At 5:48 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey liya, i'm one of your anonymous readers but i luv your blog! please ignore the anonymous comment above i mean seriously, if that girl feels so sorry for u why is she reading? it only proves she's ( or he is) a total and complete loser! nobody feels sorry for u... what could they for? ur amazing hunny! and your writing is great, that's why we all come back here to read it, incl. the anonymous person above who seems to like reading it so much that he/she has read your blog more then once! tadah! if anything, we should all pray for that person who bviously was brought up with no manners - doubt she/he EVER opened a Quran/Bible/any relgious text!

    (anyhoo, his/her jealousy of your happiness comes through in the comment, so ignore it! some of us anonymouses are nice, just quiet though..shhh)

     
  • At 6:03 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    liya, it's me again.... i think i know who your anonymous stalker is (its not me i swear!) .... i've been reading your bloggy here for awhile now and sometimes i read the blogs of others who tend to comment.. so i get an idea of who your readers are and their thoughts and such, though u already know more, but as an outsider and observer i might be able to help. it's been said that i have a very good eye when it comes to these things.. my gut instinct tells me who it is but i don't want to say the name in case i'm wrong! can i email u? i dont see an email in your profile, and then i'll tell u more about myself too so u don't think all us anonymous people are complete losers! babe u rock!

     
  • At 8:52 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i don't get it man. why does this insecure anonymous girl keep commenting on your blog? if she doesn't like it, why read it? i feel sorry for HER!

    (though she is the perfect example of the blog police!)

     
  • At 9:57 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Mezba: Yes I have! A Canadian?! (I think). I haven't read either though hmmm I'll look into them!

    Shireen: I'll take your word on it and add it to my hold list on my library card!

    Anonymous 1: Thanks... I take it the next anonymous comment isn't from you lol.

    Anonymous 2: Why would you want to be jealous of me? Um, I take it you haven't read this post. It's about you...
    P.S The Quran is amazing, please don't refer to it in a sarcastic way.

    Haleem: Hmm that might actually be a beautiful experience.. with the waves crashing in the background, a few birds, white puffy clouds floating by... this is a secluded beach I'm picturing, not one filled with noisy people! As you can tell I haven't been to a beach for awhile lol. I can only dream...

    Umar: I don't get it either, I really just don't get it :S

    Ruby & Brandy: I did read The Namesake, and agree, it was great! And the movie CAME OUT TODAY!!!! Only, *sigh* it's just playing at ONE theatre in all of Toronto! I'm still going to see it for sure though (hopefully this weekend yay!). You guys should both see it too - then we can compare notes hehe.

    Fatima: I think I'm going to have to disable anonymous comments too... these people are just plain creepy... they don't like me, yet they read my blog... I'm confused .. reminds me of your S.African attacker :S

    Anonymous 3 & 4: Aww! Okay, maybe I won't disable anonymous comments... or actually if you don't want to give your real name maybe you can make one up and comment as under 'other'? You're so sweet and I don't want to lose your comments! Feel free to email me your guess, though I have my guesses too lol... it doesn't really matter though, that person knows who they are and after leaving a comment like that, they probably feel like crap anyway.

    Feel free to email me, I would love to know who you are!

    Agent: That's the question of my life lol. "though she is the perfect example of the blog police!" -- exactly!

     
  • At 9:33 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    it's meeeeeeeeeeeeeee BOBBBBBBBBBB! haha!

    i c u got a hater on board... well u know what girl, the fact that this hater reads your site means she likes u but don't want to admit it!!!

    msg to hater: "liya" is one of the nicest and sweetest girls i used to know... u shuld get to know her, some of it could maybe rub of on u!!!

     
  • At 11:12 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Re: "Hey, i got a GREAT book for you, try reading the QURAN. Take it from someone who has read a couple of your posts, no one is jealous of you, you got nothing to worry about. On the contrary, i think there a few people our there who probably feel sorry for you" -- Liya, please don't listen to this ignorant fool, if anything, he/she needs to take their own advice. I'm disgusted that someone who reads the Quran would leave a comment like this. They simply must not be reading too closely and if so, haven't learned anything from what they read. If someone "feels sorry for you," (which I don't understand why they should), the Islamic thing to do would be for them to pray for forgiveness, as we know, we shouldn't attempt to ever think ourselves better than anyone else, or put someone 'beneath' us, for when it comes down to it, there is only One who can judge us and I would be extremely wary of people who attempt to do so themselves.

    Thank you for responding to my email about the teaching related questions, your email inspired me not to give up! I look forward to reading more of your teaching posts on your blog.
    Take care,
    - Bilqis

     
  • At 1:54 p.m., Blogger Nauman said…

    Enjoy your week off. I feel like I need a week off but I don't see that happening any time soon. A sunny destination would be nice but I'll suffice for lying around in bed for a week even at this point.

     
  • At 3:10 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey liya
    what is up with this anon hater? Weird. I remember a time when your blog was anon free...lol...Im kidding...I meant a time when your blog didn have any haters on it (lol).

    Anyway, I recommend NIGHT by Elie Wiesel. Its about the Auswitch concentration camp. Very sad and good book! Your lucky you have a break...my sister and brother are sleeping in while I have a midterm, essay and assignment due this week! Karma for how I tormented them during my reading week...lol.

     
  • At 9:02 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Bob: Thanks :)

    Bilqis: Aww no problem! I love providing help where I can, just keep in mind that I'm no expert - I'm just a first year teacher! I hope it was helpful though :)

    Nauman: I spent most of today lying around in bed reading... I actually read a whole book (Roots - one of my favs that I simply have to read at least once a year), but then I felt bored! So, tomorrow I'm going to do something fun... I'm ..going.. to.. school! To York that is :D

    Faiza: I taught that book last semester with my 3Cs and I'm I'll be reading it again with my current 3Cs soon! It's definitely a very "heavy" book... I liked how it gave us the chance to discuss so many current issues dealing with war and hate and religion. Did you know Elie Wiesel was recently the victim of an anti-semitic hate attack?

     
  • At 10:57 p.m., Blogger Abigail S said…

    Hi liya!

    I'll never understand people w/ no manners. Makes no sense to me...

    "Brave New World," huh? I look forward to hearing your students' reactions to it!

     
  • At 11:42 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Abigail: We start the book two days after we come back, and speaking of the break, I hope you're having a good one! I've already gotten caught up on my sleeping :D

     
  • At 4:09 p.m., Blogger Sofi said…

    hello liya :)

    i believe i am a first time reader of your blog....i dont know if ican recommend one particular book, but i have posted afew reviews on my blog if youre interested.

    also, i am inclined to agree with your comments on the blog policing. however, its circular since we all know others do it and perhaps are guilty of it too. hey, i believe i am doing it now ;-)

     
  • At 7:27 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LIYA it's retarded for people to come on YOUR blog and tell you how to live YOUR life. Stop being SO nice and stand up for YOURSELF for once. Look man, YOU need to have more backbone or people will walk all over YOU all the time. Muslim people are the worst. They gossip and backbite and LOVE to spread rumours. They are NEVER happy when YOU are happy. If they see anyone happy they LOVE to bring that person down. I've learned that the hard way. Not ALL people are like that but the majority ARE. I suggest YOU delete any comment that is negative. Why should YOU have to put up with someone else's problem? If someone has a problem with you just tell them to FUCK OFF and mind their own business.

    Just my 2 cents...

     
  • At 7:57 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Sofi: Welcome to my blog! I'll definitely check out your reviews for some reading material inspiration!

    Anonymous: Thanks for putting it so um bluntly lol. Maybe you could be my spokesperson? - Though I don't know who you are... I don't want to delete the comments because I want people to see how ridiculous they are. I AM trying to stand up for myself a bit more as V tells me to, but I guess I'm failing :(

    This post was actually inspired by something I read on someone else's blog through accident... if interested, you can see so in the comments that a female stranger is criticizing a MARRIED man (who has a child) for posting a picture of a woman on his blog. I just found this blog policer's comments ridiculous and a waste of space and I'm tired of seeing it happen in far too many places. The man whose blog this belongs to seems like a nice person (and a convert too!) and the blog police female seems like a raving lunatic. If people want to spread the message of Islam, that's fine, but they need to find a reasonable and NICE way of doing it because otherwise they just turn people away (and they shouldn't advise people on things they themselves are guilty of).

    Comments: http://www.haloscan.com/comments/abusinan/514538382671855189/

    Actual blog: http://abusinan.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 3:53 a.m., Blogger FU said…

    i think you should read the comics.

    :)

     
  • At 3:55 a.m., Blogger FU said…

    ps.. thank god i dont have the blog police on my blog...

    they probably think i'm a gone case anyways :P

     
  • At 5:46 a.m., Blogger sara said…

    Pilly, I can't bare to read your comments anymore, after I read Anon's comment! You're awesome the way you are, don't every change for ANYONE but yourself!

    And to Anon, where in the Quran does it say to be an arrogant cheuvenistic prick?! Maybe YOU need to read the Quran! And by the way, LOTS of people are jealous of Aaliya, cause she's hot and such a cool chick! But none of them act like assholes like you!

     
  • At 8:52 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Fu: Nobody is a gone case! If anything, I'm one because I'm up at 8:42 am (on my March Break)!!

    I love reading the comics.. I'm totally obsessed with Archie comics and I read one every day. I collect them too... don't tell anyone, it's highly embaressing lol. (p.s I've gotten V hooked on them too)

    Sara: Did I ever tell you I love you? :D

    I was talking to Aunty Amy on the phone and she was telling me you're thinking of moving your big day to June for sure now... I replied saying something like "aww now I won't be able to come" and she said "if you came I'd very upset because you didn't come to any of my children's!" (she was joking).

     
  • At 4:46 a.m., Blogger sara said…

    Aww I love you too liya! Ya, I tried really hard for December for you, but they all said I can't change everything just for you so I had to give in :(

     
  • At 2:45 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Sara: That's okay, it's better for you to have it earlier so then you guys can get on with life! Please understand that you'll have to make this up to me with lots and lots of pictures. Oh yeah, and I'll still need a wedding invite to add to my wedding invitations collection - don't ask :D

     
  • At 2:45 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Sara: That's okay, it's better for you to have it earlier so then you guys can get on with life! Please understand that you'll have to make this up to me with lots and lots of pictures. Oh yeah, and I'll still need a wedding invite to add to my wedding invitations collection - don't ask :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home