I Dream of Summer...
So... how long was YOUR drive home yesterday?
My ordinarily 20-25 minute drive took 3 hours - that's THREE HOURS!!!
At first I tried to make the most of it and think happy thoughts. Then my legs began falling asleep, my tummy started growling, and somewhere around 1.5 hours I began feeling reeeeaallly sleepy.
That was some crazy weather...
10 students in my 3c class showed up today. Unfortunately for me (but fortunately for them), I had to cancel our quiz. We spent the period talking about cars.
20 students showed up to my first 3U class. I MADE them do their presentations (they thought they wouldn't have to) and then I gave them the rest of the period to catch up on work.
Almost EVERYONE showed up to my second 3U class. This happens to be my favourite class (yes I have a favourite class), and every student who came told me they came just because they didn't want to miss my class! I made them do their presentations although they were quite eager to without my pushing, and then we spent the rest of the period talking about cars.
One of my students went to try out for Canadian Idol today. Yesterday I gave her a lil' good luck party in class because she's doing something to help her reach her dreams, and for me, encouraging students to do that is what teaching is all about. I hope she gets her gold ticket :)
My ordinarily 20-25 minute drive took 3 hours - that's THREE HOURS!!!
At first I tried to make the most of it and think happy thoughts. Then my legs began falling asleep, my tummy started growling, and somewhere around 1.5 hours I began feeling reeeeaallly sleepy.
That was some crazy weather...
10 students in my 3c class showed up today. Unfortunately for me (but fortunately for them), I had to cancel our quiz. We spent the period talking about cars.
20 students showed up to my first 3U class. I MADE them do their presentations (they thought they wouldn't have to) and then I gave them the rest of the period to catch up on work.
Almost EVERYONE showed up to my second 3U class. This happens to be my favourite class (yes I have a favourite class), and every student who came told me they came just because they didn't want to miss my class! I made them do their presentations although they were quite eager to without my pushing, and then we spent the rest of the period talking about cars.
One of my students went to try out for Canadian Idol today. Yesterday I gave her a lil' good luck party in class because she's doing something to help her reach her dreams, and for me, encouraging students to do that is what teaching is all about. I hope she gets her gold ticket :)
20 Comments:
At 7:34 p.m.,
nat said…
'liya, your last couple of blogs made me want to cry! I am in the same position as you are, and its tough to be a muslim woman in a western world. You really CAN'T have your cake and eat it too, without someone frowning with disaproval. I love you and always will, and I will be here for you no matter what! Sometimes I think it helps to speak to another woman, because men are pin heads. P.S. I dream of summer too, I can't wait until all this snow is GONE! To the snow I say.. "TO THE LEFT, TO THE LEFT!"
At 10:10 p.m.,
'liya said…
Nuffy: I love you too! One thing I know and appreciate though is that I won't ever have to explain myself to you because you'll always know EXACTLY how I feel. This is so true: "You really CAN'T have your cake and eat it too, without someone frowning with disaproval" -- I don't think this will ever change, there'll always someone there that wants to bring you down instead of extend a friendly hand or offer an encouraging smile.
P.S I seriously wish we could move all this snow "in a box to the left" ... it sure would make driving a whole lot easier!
At 11:33 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
I swear, whatever pocessed me to go out at that time I don't know. Next time I will be sure to read weather forecasts.
At 12:24 a.m.,
FU said…
hey...
i'm a boy.. am I allowed to be on here??
haha...
At 1:44 a.m.,
Umar said…
They cancelled my shift at work, so i stayed home :D
Funny thing is, 24 hours later it was all melting away.
At 11:00 a.m.,
'liya said…
Haleem: Maybe it was your sisters? :D
Fu: Absolutely not! Please get a sex change so that it'll be "allowed" for you to talk to me. Um, scratch that thought, ... then I won't allow it lol. I love your comments!
Umar: Did they cancel it on the day that the snow came in with a bang? Or the day after? (either way, lucky you!)
At 11:19 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
Toronto: Welcome to Canada.
At 12:19 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
altho it was harsh....the snow storm was so beautiful! I was lucky I came home from Uni at 11 so I didnt get stuck but it took my mom and sister 2 hours to come home from Turner, a trip that usually takes 10 minutes! But when I came home at 11...I was laughing at the weather guys at how they take everything so seriously and make a big deal out of nothing, since it wasnt snowing then...but at 1...wow was I shocked.
My brother's school sent him home right at 9 am anticipating the storm. But either way...I think it was a beautiful day. The day after (Friday) was nasty! lol
And since I'm such a nosy person and I have no life, I was looking for your friend Nauman in the year book...but I couldnt find him...I found u tho...lol
At 3:25 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
i just read the last entry on your site (it was in your msn name). u were always considered by far one of the more pretteir girls in the school and in case u didn't know, also one of the more harder to approach because u were also considered 'too smart.'it isnt surprizing that your friend liked u. i think Everyone did only u just didn't notice because u were to caught up in your books to give anyone a chance. u were also very quite so any attempt to talk to u was lost. i always wondered what u were thinking when u were so quite. that was what made u so intriging, u werent like other girls. i wonder if u still look the same?
At 3:53 p.m.,
M&M said…
i feeel ur pain
my bus ride home takes usually 30 min, if rush hour than longer.. it took me over 2 hours on the bus and it wasnt even rush hour yet ..driving at 30 km/hr on the highway! holy and THEN just getting home was awful in the piles of snow
:P
At 3:54 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
now i keep checkin your journal to see when you'll answer
it looks like u answer everyone
(don't be scared, i'm not a stalker i'm just really bored)
At 5:38 p.m.,
'liya said…
Murphy: I like that :)
Faiza: That's okay, we're all nosy and have no life lol. But please burn the picture you found of me, I look horrible! Are you in the yearbook? I remember looking before but I couldn't find you.
Anonymous: That's because I only had eyes for one person and still do (for the same person!).
M&M: The only thing I envy is that at least you got to sit comfortably on the bus (well at least I hope you weren't standing) and not have to focus on the road.
Anonymous: I feel a bit weirded out now ... :S
At 5:58 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
but are u still quite? i guess not if your a teacher. and do u still look the same? the kids must like looking at u more then listening to u :P
At 6:06 p.m.,
'liya said…
Anonymous: I don't mean to be rude, but if you're going to leave comments on my blog please use a name. I don't like when people hide behind anonymity - it's a sign of insecurity. Yes, I'm still quiet, especially around people I don't know. No, I don't think I look the same, sorry to burst your bubble :)
At 7:37 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
aww..looks like you had many admirers back in the day as im sure you do now...tho i know u dont care since your eyes are only for V....and i think you still look the same....more pretty of course and a little more mature looking but essentially the same....=)...i just found our grade 8 yearbook and WOW...everyone looks soo small and different its crazy!!...and i hate this weather....and i always have to work in it...americans are damn greedy people....=(
At 7:47 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
aha so lika sasha said u look even better now :P
ok i'll use the name bob? if i use my real name u won't want to reply to me
At 11:14 p.m.,
'liya said…
Samia: I have a big fat pimple on my head that everyone in my family won't let me forget so I don't really feel better reading your nice comment lol. My grandparents came over and they asked about my pimple too. My grandma said I got the pimple because I don't call her anymore so that's my punishment :S
Anonymous: Samia not Sasha :)
Okay you can use Bob... but why wouldn't I want to reply to you if you use your real name? I'm curious as to who you are now and I feel slightly honoured that you'd check my blog so many times in one day :)
At 12:52 a.m.,
Becky L said…
ick, i hate when driving during snow makes things so slow.
when we had our bad one a few weeks ago here in PA, there was one section of highway where cars were stuck for THREE DAYS! i cant even imagine that. really, how would pee? out in the snow where others can see you? [though i'm sure that would be the least of worries... lack of food, warm blankets, running out of gas to keep your car warm... those are worse.]
At 1:21 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
yah "Bob" its Samia not Sasha...ewww...no offense to any sasha's out there....and im sure that ONE pimple that you get once a year isnt that big of a deal...i know how dramatic you can get...lol....and hey your grandma might be right about it being ur punishment...they have a funny way of being right most of the time....:/...lol
At 11:22 a.m.,
'liya said…
Becky: I read about that.. THAT is scary. Now I feel like I shouldn't complain... at least I was lucky to get home. Even if I had gotten stuck on my home I wouldn't have to worry because I don't pass many empty stretches of land. Something should have been done, 3 days is way too long.
Samia not Sasha! : I woke up this morning with ANOTHER ONE - right beside the last one!!! I'm definitely going to call my grandma today :S
Post a Comment
<< Home