Sara, South Africa, & Sara IN South Africa
Sara is getting married!!!
It is with the greatest pleasure and honour that I declare to you, my blog readers, the news of my beautiful friend Sara's ENGAGEMENT and soon to be MARRIAGE!!! Congratulations Sara, we wish you and your hubby-to-be all the happiness and laughter in your future life together that you can possibly imagine!
Do you know the feeling of being so happy for someone that you can't possibly be sad? I have to admit that I do feel a twinge of sadness due to the fact that Sara will NOT be moving back home to Canada. She went to South Africa over a year ago looking for vacation, relaxation, and spending time with good weather and family, and ended up landing a super cool design job by accident during her first week in Cape Town (that stuff only happens to amazingly talented people and she happens to be one of them). Well, after landing her job, she realized she'd be in Africa a little longer than originally planned. So she bought a car and place to live - both of which I now realize were like bricks, tying her down to a new continent. But the biggest brick of all? She then lands a sweet and caring guy, which neatly seals the deal and confirms the fact that Sara will never be moving back "home." But what is "home?" My parents have lived in Canada for over 35 years, and yet Africa is still home.
Am I upset that I'll practically never see Sara again or that I won't get to attend her wedding? No, on the contrary, I'm VERY happy for her. I'm happy that she found someone amazing because amazing people are few and rare. I'm happy that she found a "brick" because in this world you need someone steady, someone who'll support you and be strong in love and in life. And, I'm happy that she's happy, even if her happiness happens on the other side of the world.
P.S I know the brick metaphor is lame but my students were discussing 'love' last week and it came up. I happen to think bricks are cool, I have one myself :D
P.P.S Sara's engagement is this weekend.
It is with the greatest pleasure and honour that I declare to you, my blog readers, the news of my beautiful friend Sara's ENGAGEMENT and soon to be MARRIAGE!!! Congratulations Sara, we wish you and your hubby-to-be all the happiness and laughter in your future life together that you can possibly imagine!
Do you know the feeling of being so happy for someone that you can't possibly be sad? I have to admit that I do feel a twinge of sadness due to the fact that Sara will NOT be moving back home to Canada. She went to South Africa over a year ago looking for vacation, relaxation, and spending time with good weather and family, and ended up landing a super cool design job by accident during her first week in Cape Town (that stuff only happens to amazingly talented people and she happens to be one of them). Well, after landing her job, she realized she'd be in Africa a little longer than originally planned. So she bought a car and place to live - both of which I now realize were like bricks, tying her down to a new continent. But the biggest brick of all? She then lands a sweet and caring guy, which neatly seals the deal and confirms the fact that Sara will never be moving back "home." But what is "home?" My parents have lived in Canada for over 35 years, and yet Africa is still home.
Am I upset that I'll practically never see Sara again or that I won't get to attend her wedding? No, on the contrary, I'm VERY happy for her. I'm happy that she found someone amazing because amazing people are few and rare. I'm happy that she found a "brick" because in this world you need someone steady, someone who'll support you and be strong in love and in life. And, I'm happy that she's happy, even if her happiness happens on the other side of the world.
P.S I know the brick metaphor is lame but my students were discussing 'love' last week and it came up. I happen to think bricks are cool, I have one myself :D
P.P.S Sara's engagement is this weekend.
23 Comments:
At 11:43 a.m.,
nat said…
Hey 'liya! Its wonderful news about your friend who's getting married. Weddings are wonderful and marriage is such a great union! I just want to say Sara may your marriage be filled with oodles of happiness and joy. I can't wait till I get married, and I'm sure 'liya you can't wait either *ahem Agent*. Cheers to Sara, cheers to marriage and cheers to love. Hip hip hooray!
At 12:47 p.m.,
Ahmed said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
At 1:36 p.m.,
Ahmed said…
Congratulations to your friend Sara, thats wonderful and InshaAllah she'll have a wonderful life and marriage full of happiness.
Finding THE amazing person, the right person...it is hard.
At 3:28 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Oh wow...everything in your friends life happened so fast! Wow. But I hope her life is full of joy, happiness and adventures. But wont her family here in Canada miss her? And when's the wedding? You should go liya...u deserve the vacation as well!
At 4:05 p.m.,
Squeeky said…
Assalaamu Alaikum :)
Aww congratulations! It's the best feeling when you find out a friend is getting married, alhamdulillah :) It's okay that you can't attend ... you'll be there in spirit ;)
At 4:21 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
I hope sara doesnt get married in the summer! Then we cant go see her wedding! That would suck...
At 5:47 p.m.,
M&M said…
aww congrats to ur friend:D may she have eternal happiness
and your post was such a good proof of the phrase "you never know where life will take you...no matter how much u plan" literally
At 7:17 p.m.,
mezba said…
Please pass my congratulations to your wedding. You should go - I heard South Africa is a wonderful place to visit in (their) summer.
At 7:18 p.m.,
mezba said…
Um, I meant to say "Please pass my congratulations to your friend."
At 12:03 a.m.,
'liya said…
Everyone: Thanks guys! I know Sara will be surprised when she sees everyone's nice wishes & congratulations!
Nuffy: "I'm sure 'liya you can't wait either *ahem Agent*" thank you for this lovely reminder, I HOPE V SEES IT lol :D
Ahmed: "Finding THE amazing person, the right person...it is hard." -- indeed!
Faiza: I was actually planning to go with V because it was supposed to be in December (and my parents said if we're married by then I can go...) but now the wedding has been moved to June (and I can't go then because V's in school and has work and I have to work to make some money cuz otherwise I won't be able to afford my own wedding!)
Squeeky: I'll definitely be there in spirit!
Agent: Well it's been confirmed, she emailed me this morning and it's now set for June. Don't worry love, I know how badly you want to experience Africa, we'll go on OUR honeymoon :D
M&M: "you never know where life will take you...no matter how much u plan" -- I know!
Mezba: Haha, I hope V saw your first message, just to scare him a little :D
At 3:29 a.m.,
sara said…
Awwww thanks everyone! You guys are so sweet!!!!!! Thanks for dedicating a whole post to me liya and thanks for all the good wishes. I'll MAKE SURE we take pics this weekend and i'll send em to u next week!
At 3:45 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
Aw man!
Congrats to Sara....
hehehe..Cape Town has a great effect on people :P I have to admit that! *cough splutter*
Liya...please come :(
At 7:51 a.m.,
Becky L said…
i do like the brick metaphor.
even when Hubby and I are having disagreements, i still feel like he's my brick-- he'll always be there w/ me, supporting me. He keeps me standing, no matter what
At 9:17 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
Congratulations to your friend Sara, Liya!
That's wonderful news :-)
- Bilqis
At 9:51 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
major congrats to your friend
sooooooooo........ ur next???
:P
At 10:39 a.m.,
'liya said…
Sara: Good, because I'm like patiently waiting here lol (I want your pics and the ones from Mo B's wedding). I hope everything goes great for you this weekend... smile A LOT in your pictures and have fun!!! :D
Fatima: I want to! Well maybe not now as I planned, but one day (hopefully soon) InshAllah.
Becky: Yay, someone likes the metaphor! I like it too, they're smart kids :)
Bilqis: It is! :)
Anonymous: Nope, my cousin who lives in SA is getting married this weekend (actually, to Sara's cousin... so we're going to be cousins!) And HE is next!
At 10:58 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
ok r u after him?
At 11:53 a.m.,
'liya said…
Anonymous: No..I have other cousins who are older than me and already have their wedding dates set. Don't worry, when it's my time I'll let everyone know..
At 3:34 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Anonymous, give the girl some privacy! Unless you really want to marry her yourself, does it really affect you when she decides her wedding to be? I know you must be happy for her that it is certain to be in the future sometime, but marriage is a serious step and it's annoying for unmarried folk to be constantly asked that question, it creates a lot of pressure.
Liya, I've decided to become your defender against all that is Anonymous and the forces of evil as my way to repay you!
- Bilqis
At 8:37 p.m.,
'liya said…
Bilqis: "defender against all that is Anonymous and the forces of evil" haha that's so cute, thanks!
Don't think of 'repaying' me though, I didn't do anything I would hope someone else would do for me if I were in the same situation!
At 2:47 a.m.,
sara said…
Liya, MoB already GOT married, two weekends ago, the Walima is this weekend but i won't be there cause i'll be at my engagement.
At 11:10 a.m.,
'liya said…
Sara: I'm just confused :S
And I want pictures!!!
At 9:20 a.m.,
sara said…
I emailed you about the pics, I don't have pics of the wedding because Ismail refused to go get his camera from the car, but the family blog has a couple on it. I'm waiting for the official wedding pics to come out tho.
Post a Comment
<< Home