To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

' And I said "What about Breakfast at Tiffany's?" '

My students get a big kick of the fact that I met V in grade 11 -- well, technically the beginning of grade 12, but I say grade 11 so that I get a greater effect of "ooohs" and "ahhhs" (they're all eleventh graders). They think it's impossible -- that a highschool sweetheart-turned marriage partner is something that can still exist. I like to weird them out and tell them that they might end up marrying the person they sit beside in my class. They then eye each other suspiciously and I get comments like "how can I marry him, he doesn't even share his pencil with me!" and the guy will retort with a regular excuse "well you use up all the led!" I've discovered that sharing isn't something you can master by the end of kindergarten, nor is it something you accept by grade age of sweet 16. And, if it's something that you're supposed to know and understand by the age of 24, well, let's just say that V has failed the sharing test.

On the long weekend, V and I went out for breakfast for the first time in our 6.5 years of knowing each other. We went to Cora's, a cute place by my house that has some very yummy eats. We had never 'done breakfast' before and I thought it would be fun to pretend that we were a married couple sharing our morning meal. It's hard when he lives 45 minutes away (half an hour on a good day), so we never really saw the point of meeting so early in the morning before, but it was fun - even though he didn't act like a GOOD husband. Which means he didn't want to SHARE his meal with me. I didn't really mind the waking up early on my day off so much as the fact that he got a better meal. Whole wheat crepes are just not the same as light fluffy waffles with fresh cream, topped with a pretty arrangement of assorted fresh fruit!


Not actual picture.

So why the whole wheat crepes?

Before we left the house, my mom remarked that it looked like I had gained some weight. The sad thing is, she said this in front of V and my sister, and not only did V burst into laughter (and not come to his future wife's defense), but this armed my sister with lovely potential insult material to last a good couple of months. Thus the whole wheat crepes.

As if all of this wasn't bad enough, today at school I bent over to pick up some papers I had dropped and .. my belt dramatically snapped off!!!

..In my defense, it wasn't a very strong belt to begin with, it was one of those flimsy seatbelt belts and it was purely for decoration purposes on top of a shirt dress. But.. one of my students (there were only two in the room at the time), burst into laughter and said "uh oh, someone's gaining a little weight," ..only with his thick Russian accent it sounded more like "uh oh, somevuns gained a lot ovf vat."

Tomorrow I surprise them with a pop quiz. Ah, revenge is sweet. Well, sweeter and less fattening than the cream on V's waffle at least :D

23 Comments:

  • At 9:51 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Oh, and can someone please tell me what they see as my avatar? I keep seeing the same thing even when I change it. I think my template has messed up the changing clothes function :(

     
  • At 10:29 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    your avatar has been the same for a while and can you plzz fix the alignment on your template, everything is fine on my desktop but on the laptop its all messed up...is this happening to me only? BTW dont worry bout what your mom says, she always tells you that even though your the skinniest person i know or i used to anyway (lol) :)

     
  • At 3:58 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Beautiful :)

     
  • At 3:59 a.m., Blogger Asmaa said…

    Grrr, the weight factor is always brought in when people want something from you. *shakes fist*

     
  • At 7:19 a.m., Blogger sara said…

    I can't believe your mom said that!!! Last time I saw you you looked like a twig. Your avatar shows a chick with a veil.

     
  • At 12:38 p.m., Blogger Ahmed said…

    Your avator shows you in a garden with a cake and veil.

     
  • At 2:03 p.m., Blogger Becky L said…

    Even after you're married, the Hubby most likely will not share. Its a guy thing: they like their food and dont want to give it away. That is, unless its something nasty.

     
  • At 2:07 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Whole wheat crepes actually sound yummy and you don't need to worry about your weight, you look fine. Yes I can say this without ever having seen you and I mean it too! When you have children liya, don't tell them they're gaining weight in front of their significant others or siblings or half the damn town k? k. Good.

     
  • At 6:36 p.m., Blogger AKA said…

    The weight thing always gets brought up at my house. I feel your pain! I haven't been to Cora's though I also live really close to one (who knows, maybe we're neighbours!), but I agree with the boys not sharing food bit. What their's is their's and what's yours is their's too. But a breakfast like that doesn't happen often - treat yourself to the fluffy waffles!

     
  • At 7:13 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Omg liya...not that I know u personally...but from urs pics...U ARE VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY SKINNY! You are probably like half my size...and I personally think I'm slim..lol...so that would make u a stick! Your mom probably just jokes with u ... like my brother and dad do. But if I were half as skinny as u ... I would definately have eaten the Waffles and some other food too! lol...
    And...u probably dont care..but I only have 16 more days (my last exam is on the 28th) until my degree is DONE DONE DONE!!! YAY!

     
  • At 7:40 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Aman: It's happening to a lot of people and I don't know how to fix it :( I'll have to see what I can do. In the meantime, why don't you call me so I can be sad on the phone!

    Taqdeer: Thanks!.. but are you talking about my template or the waffle? :D

    Asmaa: I don't know what my mom wants... maybe she wanted the waffle? hehe.

    Sara & Ahmed: Okay, so I guess everyone can see my avatar except me. Wonderful. Oh, and Aman :S

    Becky: I guess we can conclude then that men are greedy? Next time I'm going to order something better and not share with HIM!

    Ruby: It actually was good, but it wasn't AS good as his waffle! I just don't like having the second best thing. Especially when he's sitting there eating with a smirk on his face!! And I will so not embarass my children like that!

    Aka: If you're talking about the Cora's on Ray Lawson Blvd then that's the one! This was my first time being to that location (I had only been to the one in Ottawa before but that was with my family so it didn't count). Go. It's good! Kinda like Demetries for breakfast.

    Faiza: Good luck with your exams and congratulations on your soon to be graduation!! Now go to Cora's and have a waffle :D

     
  • At 8:33 p.m., Blogger M&M said…

    i m having the same problem with the template, i use my laptop and the alignment is off, it comes out messed up:S

    n go eat another waffle lol

     
  • At 11:21 p.m., Blogger mezba said…

    Maybe your blog's been eating too many pastries and needs to trim her (him?) self a bit? It would help the blog fit into the right margin.

     
  • At 11:42 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    okay first off..your amazingly skinny..as skinny as you can be witout being anorexic....and i love treating myself to fattening foods here and there...cause well if i dont then i tend to binge..so a little moderation and freedom is allowed....and morning breakfast is something that i recall from grade school days...aaahh those days where i could eat and eat and eat..and still be a twig...how time has caught up and im sweating like crazy at the gym working off my indulgences....but im starting to find healthy things i actually like..so all is going well...so yeah...my point there is no way you are fat cause that would make me obese...and that i would have a little problem with...your beautiful liya just the way you are!...=)

     
  • At 4:24 a.m., Blogger sara said…

    Try refreshing the page (i think its control R, and i think i've told u this before!!!!)!!!!!!

    And whole wheat crepes, while a healthier option to their traditional white-flour counterparts, are still carbs. If you really wanna be a health freak, you should have ordered a bowl of fresh fruit (which is both unsatisfying and would have filled u up for a whole 5 minutes)!

     
  • At 4:45 a.m., Blogger FU said…

    haha... hey fatty.

    its ok.. ive put on weight too.

    its sad coz my old modeling agent asked me to rejoin but i'm in NO shape to go back into modeling again... id be like.. hey baby, look at my belly. like how it jiggles?

    it's ok. maybe V likes fat girls ;)

     
  • At 5:12 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    M&M: *sigh* okay, I think it's just not working for too many people. I'll have to do something soon. Thanks for letting me know.

    Mezba: Hmmm.. a blog diet. I need to consult a dietician.

    Samia: Thanks for the encouraging comments but at least you go to the gym so you're okay. I'm a lazy bum. And soon I'll have a big bum
    :(

    Sara: Oh ya, I think I remember you telling me something about refreshing it lol. Okay, I shall try. And I can eat a bowl of fruit at home. Bowls of fruit are only good for learning how to paint :D

    FattyFU: You're mean but you speak the truth! If V doesn't like fat girls then I'll just have to sit on him :D

     
  • At 5:28 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Sara: Refreshing worked! I love you!

     
  • At 6:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Liya, men just don't like sharing their foods. They're very protective of their meals. Pretty much like carnivores! When he gets up and goes to the washroom or before he comes to sit down to eat you should help yourself to a few of his bites. It's not considered stealing, it's just considered helping HIM with his weight!

    My husband is used to me digging into his plate though. Haha, I like to eat for the both of us.

    - Bilqis

     
  • At 10:47 p.m., Blogger AKA said…

    Oh wow, we are pretty much neighbours!! I live across from Turner Fenton (off Steeles). What a crazy, small blog world! And I will definitely go there soon :)

     
  • At 10:56 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Bilqis: Well, V's just going to have to get used to it too! How did you train him? Hehe :D

    Aka: I went to Turner... My sister goes there right now! This is weird, do we know each other?

     
  • At 1:36 a.m., Blogger AKA said…

    We could...! Although I started at TFC, moved around for about 2-3 years and then came back when in gr 12-OAC, so I did lose touch with a lot of people but made friends all over again when I came back. I graduated in 2001..

     
  • At 7:45 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Aka: I graduated in 2002 hmm.. so you're either a year older than me or you fast-tracked because I did OAC. Hmmm.. well my real name isn't Liya - if you put two As in front then that's me..

    I feel like a detective lol.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home