To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Awkward Stage

Do you remember your awkward stage? I know you do... C'mon, everybody had one at some point in their lives, you may have been lucky and just had a tiny bout of awkwardness, or you might have experienced awkwardness in all its full-blown glory: added weight, growth spurts, pesky pimples, major hair troubles, braces, big glasses, ... or maybe you prefer to forget... you know, like erase those years from your memory - and if that's the case, I hope I haven't stirred up any unpleasant memories...

Where am I going with this?

Well...
...yesterday...
...I was introduced to V's awkward stage!

And V, I totally apologize for doing this, but I'm telling your story out of love, NOT to embarass you, but because I think it's cute. Okay? Don't get mad, I love you!

No, V's not experiencing awkwardness right now, no, not at all, he's a perfectly intelligent, and attractive member of the male species. However, V's oh-so-kind brother decided to help me out and fill me in on V's pre-teen days of um excess baggage. You see, if I'm going to be marrying the guy, I need to know as much valuable information as possible so that I can blackmail him when necessary 'cause isn't that how relationships work?! Right! So, of course I'm all ears to know more about his childhood and stress-free days of B.L (before 'liya)! Lucky for me, his family was so willing to share this secret info ... his brother AND his mother acknowleged the fact that V didn't just have a few awkward days, he had a few awkward years! This totally made up for my mom telling me I was fat in front of V and my sister! Okay, maybe I AM having too much fun with this... hehe.

One lovely video presentation later, and I had enough laughter to last me through the week :D

Picture this: a group of about 10 little boys (by "little," I mean between the ages of 9-13) dancing to bhangra music. All of the kids in the group look relatively normal, however, one stands out because he looks white whereas everyone else is brown, he's also the shortest of the lot and, he's so so freakin CHUBBY he looks like he's going to burst out of his suit.

Did I say chubby? I meant FAT.

I have to admit it that it was hard for me to believe that the little round ball bopping about on the screen was in fact V. I know most people pretty much look the same from when they were younger. For most, basically their features age a bit, but that's all. But V, oh boy, he looked like a whole different person!

His oh-so-kind brother also let me in on another secret - V used to be known as the 'fat Italian kid' by his family and friends growing up - because he was SO fat and SO white. Aww! Hehe..

It was cute, really it was. More cute than awkward I guess because little boys don't really care how they look right?

That video is very precious. You know how I said I don't want any video presentations at my wedding because I think it's tacky? Well - I changed my mind a bit. A short clip won't hurt anything (or anyone) :D

Thank God V will never see MY awkward age pictures. I cut them into millions of pieces and tossed them a long long time ago. Some things are better left forgotten.

15 Comments:

  • At 3:59 a.m., Blogger Saaleha Idrees Bamjee said…

    hmmm...my awkward phase lasted right up until my first year of campus.
    in fact, not much of a phase but the story of my life:)

     
  • At 9:16 a.m., Blogger Nauman said…

    You seem to really want to hide your awkward stage if you cut up the pictures... that sounds a bit excessive. :)

    I remember the latter half of your awkward stage - it still makes me laugh when I think about it. Oh well... I think I got past my awkward stage though I'm sure you'd beg to differ. :)

     
  • At 10:45 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    lol awwww that's soo cute...come on...cut the lil chubby bunny a break! his mom prolly fed him well...really really well! is V punjabi? just curious...as i am! bye, samira

     
  • At 1:25 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    aw cute!
    hehe!
    shame on u liya for cutting your pics up...tsk!
    i'm still in my awkward phase!!!!
    :D

     
  • At 4:10 p.m., Blogger Nikki Neurotic said…

    I think I'm still in my awkward stage...since like, I was a baby.

     
  • At 4:53 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Saaleha: If what you're experiencing is an awkward phase then please send some of that awkwardness this way because I want some of your amazing writing talent, plus I think you're one pretty girl :D

    Nauman: um my awkward phase was gone by grade 8 and I met you in high school - I've pretty much looked the same since then.

    Samira: Hehe, "chubby bunny" I like that! Welcome to my blog :)

    Fatima: I like to forget that I once looked like a fool :D

    Silverneurotic: Hehe.. that doesn't count though! (Fatima and Saaleha incl., you guys know what I'm talking about!!) .. but speaking of babies, my colleague brought his newborn baby to work at the end of the day to show us and OMG she was adorable .. hopefully she never has to grow up.

     
  • At 7:33 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    @nauman, liya was one hot chica at turner. if ur talking about her personality being awk. i undestand comp. she was very quiet n we never knew what she was thinking... so quiet that it made her seem mysterious and made people want to know her more. now we gotz her blog to uncover the real liya yippee! other than that she was a hottie, i knew her since gr. 9! wow time flies!

     
  • At 8:05 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Anonymous: Aww so you knew me since grade 9?

    I'm still quiet... though V might say otherwise :)

    Name please?

     
  • At 10:55 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So we know his mom was a good cook! Such a cute story...but part of me thinks you should bake him cookies or something to console him for the embarrassment he has to endure here...first the snuggle bunny and now this..

     
  • At 8:33 a.m., Blogger Becky L said…

    i hated my sister when she showed Andrew all of my "awkward years" pictures. it was so embarrassing!

     
  • At 9:34 a.m., Blogger Nauman said…

    'liya:
    That's what you think - you were very much awkward in high school and only started to become less awkward in your first year of university! I guess you and I have different definitions of awkward.

     
  • At 4:18 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Ruby: LOL aww, why are you on his side?! That's true though, we did have the Snuggly Bunny and now the um let's say Chubby Bunny ... but you know what, I don't think he even saw this post yet ... ! (I think!) Hmm, I guess I could do something nice... :D

    Becky: Hehe, I guess that's what siblings are for! V wasn't too happy with his brother for showing me, especially since his brother made a very big production out of the whole thing (the vcr wasn't working and he went to great exaggerated lengths to fix it in order to show me the old video) ... one day you can get some "revenge" :D

    Nauman: I'd love to know what you define as awkward because I absolutely loved how I looked in high school. If I could, I wish I could go back and grab that body and bring it to the present day because my current body is expanding too fast, especially around the leg area!

     
  • At 4:20 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Oh yeah, and Nauman, you used to LIKE how I looked in high school let's not forget that! LOL

     
  • At 11:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i think he still likes you :P
    coz u weren't awkward at all and now he regrets it coz u got a big head!

     
  • At 9:13 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Anonymous: He USED to, not anymore - now he likes... I won't say but I know who it is! hehe :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home