A time to reflect...
Change is inevitable. Often certain things will happen in life that help re-affirm our beliefs and values. There's only one thing doesn't change - God. I value my family and my belief that life on earth is temporal, that our lives, after we die, are forever, and that here on earth we should be the best people we can be because we have so little time.
Is 86 a long time on earth or a short time? I think it's both.
I've known all along that I have two supportive parents who care very much about me but this year I've realized that more than ever. I know that I have strong faith for what I believe in and I hope and pray that I never lose that, but that it grows stronger every day.
I think I should call the last 12 months 'Liya's Year of Change. University graduation... applying to different schools/boards... my first teaching job and a great first year teaching + awesome students/staff/administration... friends... betrayal... forgiveness... love... laughter... truth... death... and so on - I sound like I could be lecturing my students on literary themes.
I have too many things that I want to blog about and I don't know where to start. Life is funny, sometimes it's the really simple things that you appreciate most - like watching two men you love playing an ordinary game of checkers and not knowing who to cheer for. I wish I could go back to last night and watch as my dad played V in checkers, their games lasting for hours on end, neither wanting to back down and give up, even with only 3 pieces left on the board.
Is 86 a long time on earth or a short time? I think it's both.
I've known all along that I have two supportive parents who care very much about me but this year I've realized that more than ever. I know that I have strong faith for what I believe in and I hope and pray that I never lose that, but that it grows stronger every day.
I think I should call the last 12 months 'Liya's Year of Change. University graduation... applying to different schools/boards... my first teaching job and a great first year teaching + awesome students/staff/administration... friends... betrayal... forgiveness... love... laughter... truth... death... and so on - I sound like I could be lecturing my students on literary themes.
I have too many things that I want to blog about and I don't know where to start. Life is funny, sometimes it's the really simple things that you appreciate most - like watching two men you love playing an ordinary game of checkers and not knowing who to cheer for. I wish I could go back to last night and watch as my dad played V in checkers, their games lasting for hours on end, neither wanting to back down and give up, even with only 3 pieces left on the board.
10 Comments:
At 8:11 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
i like how there's something serious and playful in all your writing, how do u learn to write like that? like give things a little twist
At 8:54 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
Betryal???
At 10:03 a.m.,
sara said…
Liya I've seen a lot of change in you this year and I'm SO proud of you! You're a brilliant teacher from what I've read in your blogs and its great to see you doing something you're SO passionate about. I'm glad to see you so happy in life in general and to have found so much contentment and a happy balance amongst your relationships!!!!!! Also, I'm seeing a transition from college kid to young adult in your attitudes, blossoming confidence and the fact that you're really standing up for what you believe in. Keep it up kid!!!!!!
At 11:21 a.m.,
mezba said…
Hopefully the one thing that will not change is the support and love we get from our families and friends at tough times.
At 11:21 a.m.,
mezba said…
PS.. who won that checkers game?
At 3:52 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
hey :)
this is the 3rd time i'm reading your post...each time my nephew came to get me to play with his r/c car.
lol
the small things do mean a lot!
but yeah, i completely understand what you're saying.
At 6:32 p.m.,
'liya said…
Ayesha: Thanks, I didn't even notice! :)
Aman: Yes from YOU for not calling me anymore.. lol just kidding... betrayal from a friend who doesn't who I thought was bigger and better than what she turned out to be.
Sara: Aww, thanks! "Young adult" sounds nice even though I don't feel it. Now I'm going to have to try to live up to that! Make sure to tell Ismail my mom thinks you guys make a great couple :D
Mezba: I was hoping someone would ask who won! They played 3 games, my dad won the first, V won the second, and my dad won the third. As you can imagine, my dad was quite happy and poor V probably went home to practise for next time!
Fatima: Give him a hug and tell him to never grow up!
At 8:07 a.m.,
Becky L said…
having supportive and caring parents is a wonderful thing.
i am glad that you were blessed with them.
At 10:32 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
*hugs*
That is all.
At 6:37 p.m.,
'liya said…
Becky & Ruby: :)
Post a Comment
<< Home