To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Friday, May 04, 2007

10 Things I Hate About You

My 3U students are in the midst of writing sonnets. They're good... these kids are talented I tell ya.

Today we looked at Shakespeare's "sonnet 141" and for fun I got them to read a modern day interpretation of the poem from the movie 10 Things I Hate About You (based on The Taming of the Shrew). I always thought this movie was very cute and if I have time at the end of the year I hope I can show it as a way to help the kids de-stress before exams. Maybe I'll even get them to write their own "10 Things I Hate About You" poem just like main character Katarina does in the film.

And in the meantime, here's my quick 10 minute attempt at penning my own most hated, in dedication to none other than the person I hate most in this world -- hate to the point where I love him SO much -- my darling dearest V :


10 Things I Hate About You (or 14 to be precise)

I hate the way you joke around and make me want to cry
I hate the way you act like it's nothing when I feel I'm going to die
I hate the way you make me mad and then try to make me laugh
I hated the time you showed up late by an hour and a half
I hate the way you threaten to tell my mom when I'm being bad
I hate the fact I scrawled your name in hearts on my sketchpad
I hate the way I think of you all throughout my day
I hate it when you pop in my head even sometimes when I pray
I hate the way you pull my hair and poke me when I'm down
I hate the way you start making silly faces when I start to frown
I hate it when you work all day and I don't get "my time"
I hate it when I pull out my wallet and you act like it's a crime
I hate the way you make me want you so much I want to scream
But mostly, I hate the way I don't hate you, can never hate you, and never will - it seems.



That's all folks.
Have a good weekend, enjoy the sunshine, and compose a few lines if you're feeling poetic :)

19 Comments:

  • At 9:34 p.m., Blogger Nikki Neurotic said…

    When I was in 12th grade the local playhouse in town did a performance of "Taming of the Shrew", but they did it 70's style...kept the Shakespearean language intact...was pretty cool.

     
  • At 11:43 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What!! This is nuts! I didn't even do half these things! When was I ever 1 and a half hours late?? I dont pull your hair either! You are just looking for rhyming words! Now I'm just waiting for that anonymous rude person to come on and give her unwanted two cents lol.

     
  • At 7:14 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I Love that you cannot hate the one you love :)

     
  • At 10:21 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Silverneurotic: That sounds pretty cool, I love that play! I like how you can read into Katherine's character both ways hehe.. I have yet to see a modern adaption that works well of any play (the Romeo and Juliet movie doesn't count).

    Agent: Liar!! You told me you were going to sleep early so that you could wake up for work on time and what do I see? 11:43 PM!!!
    + You WERE an 1.5 hours late THAT TIME you had to meet me with my sisters downtown
    + And you ALWAYS pull my hair!!! So don't even try to make it look like I'm trying to make you look bad!

    Taqdeer: Or the more I hate him the more I love him!

     
  • At 5:30 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Heh, I'm waiting for that anonymous rude person too.... that was becoming very entertaining before(sorry but it's true!) .... don't want to give my name and blog or she'll come after me too haha!

     
  • At 8:42 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My computer broke down and I lost all my bookmarks and couldn't find your blog. I'm so glad I found it through a random blogger site recently!!

    It looks like you're doing exceptionally well. Yay you!!~

     
  • At 10:30 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Anonymous: Wonderful, just wonderful lol.

    Unshrinked: Awww I remember you!... something about lemons/limes in your blog background?! Or am I just crazy? But now I don't have access to your site because I can't click on your name! Are you still up and running? I hope you're doing well too!!

     
  • At 8:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Aww, I love that! And what a good way to make the kids excited about Shakespeare!

     
  • At 11:15 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    lol didnt V learn in kindergarten not to pull girly's hair?

     
  • At 11:22 p.m., Blogger Becky L said…

    i really liked that movie

     
  • At 12:03 a.m., Blogger Nauman said…

    Ever since you changed your template to incorporate pink into it, your blog has gone super-girly with all the love-related posts. :)

    Fade to black!

     
  • At 1:10 a.m., Blogger nat said…

    mmm... Laura Secord... lol


    I ran into Sylvia a few days ago!

     
  • At 2:51 a.m., Blogger FU said…

    i see england,
    i see france
    i see liya's....

    oh wait... V wouldn't like it if i finished my poetry... hahahahahahaa

    where is bitchy anonymous wooman? i miss her. i love her.

     
  • At 10:55 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cute idea liya! You should totally get your class to do this! And show the movie at the end of the year when all they are thinking about is prom and the beach.

     
  • At 5:02 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Brandy: Maybe too excited! Luckily today the videoclip (from somethng else) I showed them was quite boring - I sometimes need to do boring things to reign them in after fun classes or they expect too much lol.

    Anonymous: I guess not lol. Kindergarten didn't do him too well since he also didn't learn to share :D

    Becky: Me too, super cute!

    Nauman: I can't help it, it's spring, I'm happy, and I have love on my mind! :D

    Nuffy: That's Baskin Robbins!!! And really? How is she? I haven't talked to her for awhile. Man I have to call yousoon.. and don't worry I haven't forgotten that job thingy. I'll send you the info today.

    Fu: !!!

    Now that everyone wants "bitchy anonymous woman" she seems to have gone into hiding lol.

    Ruby: Thankfully they're in grade 11 so most aren't thinking about prom. When I was teaching grade 12 last semester that's all they talked about (and that was back in January). And the only beach around here is in the imagination :D

     
  • At 10:18 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    the change was super easy liya, i totally vote for you to make the jump too!

    and beaches...Kew, Wasaga, Pebble, Grand Bend..

     
  • At 2:50 p.m., Blogger Ahmed said…

    Hate is much too strong of a word....but I think your blog is the last blog in the world without an rss feed! :P

     
  • At 4:07 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    awwwwwwwwwwwwww..........so cute!!!

     
  • At 5:35 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Ruby: Okay since you say it was easy I trust you that I won't mess up in doing this!

    As for beaches, I know what you mean hehe, Wasaga is nice... but a real beach is even better *sigh*

    Ahmed: lol I don't know what an RSS feed is! But I'm going to switch to Wordpress soon (maybe) - does that mean I'll have one?

    Fatima: :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home