To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Bridal Bootcamp

Ssshh I have a secret. Okay, well it’s not really a secret since I’m revealing it here, but it’s something worthy of having the dignified status of a secret anyway.

.
..

….
…..

I’ve set up my own version of a bridal bootcamp.

If I’m going to be going to a place like this where I want to look nice in this, and if I’m going to marry a guy like this, then I’m going to have to do a bit of this.

…I just wanna look hot for him on our wedding night!
And of course there’s always the same reason – I want to keep my body in shape. I’ve been a lazy lump for far too long. Being a teacher doesn’t help. There are always too many staff breakfasts, birthdays, and tempting treats lying around the office. Not to mention the fact that my students like to try to bribe me with food. Believe me when I say Student X brought a chocolate cake to class today. Yes a chocolate cake. No, not a slice, but an entire cake – which he then shared with his group and then of course offered to me… and how could I resist? Are they making lockers different nowadays? Maybe they have some kind of cake-holding-freezer-capability.

I had the most freakishly healthy upbringing possible and now I feel like I’m falling apart. But this post isn’t about my sugarless childhood and how much I love my mom for raising me organically. I do value healthy eating for sure, but I’ve just been struggling with sticking to my values for the past year. It’s hard when there are so many other things on your mind.

But let’s get to the point:

I have two goals. My first goal is to lose 5 pounds. Why just 5 pounds? Well that’s how much I've gained since September. My second goal is more important though. I want MUSCLE and I want to tone my body - I’ve also been saying I would do this for ages. As a teacher I get a nice discount off a gym membership and I don’t even take advantage of that. The swimming pool at my school is open for teacher use at lunch and I don’t even take advantage of that. And, I even come from a sports-minded family and I don’t take advantage of that. I need to start taking advantage of these things. At least now I have some motivation although I feel pathetic for saying that I’m not really doing this for myself but more so for V – but it’s something right? And it’s a start at least. And it will benefit me. I’ll be able to walk up a flight of stairs and not feel out of breath – and that in itself should be an indication of how out of shape I was previously.

So that’s right my dear readers, ‘Liya is torturing herself in the name of wedding bliss. And if there’s no “bliss” at the end of this tunnel, well, then somebody’s going to pay because I sure ain't doing this for nothing.

Mornings begin in the cruelest way possible – situps.
The nightly routine is not so nice either – jogging.

And that’s all I’m doing for now because this is 'bridal bootcamp' and not hell.

P.S It’s actually very beautiful to go out jogging at night (yes, when it’s totally dark so that nobody can see my huffing and puffing… although my mom follows a few paces behind to make sure I don’t get kidnapped). I’ve been at it for a week now and you know what, I actually feel really good. Now, if only I can stick to this ‘bootcamp’ and not cave, by the end of the summer, I might just be able to carry V :D

P.P.S I also owe thanks to those mentioned here. Being inspired by others is also always a great start!

19 Comments:

  • At 11:50 p.m., Blogger FU said…

    excercise is the best!
    i love it.. i get depressed when i dont work out

    speaking of which.. i've had an action packed day and i'm off to the gym.. its 11:50pm... but i'm off!

    thank god for 24 hour gyms!

     
  • At 6:59 a.m., Blogger sara said…

    Wow Liya, i'm so proud of you for actually getting on with the workouts! Remember when we used to say shopping was exercise cause we're walking around the mall, then we ate ice cream, or at least looked at it and tasted a teaspoon of a flavour we were craving! Well, I've been "planning" to workout since I got engaged, and now with my wedding ONLY FIVE WEEKS AWAY, i'm lucky if i even attend a yoga or pilates class once a week!!!!! I really need to take a lesson from you!

     
  • At 7:21 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh god
    i need to work out.
    chocolate and nutella diet is not working.

     
  • At 10:19 a.m., Blogger Umar said…

    i desperately need to get in shape too. too much junk for me and not enough exercise.

    i was going to say something about expecting a few "anonymous" comments, but i see you've enabled comment moderation :P

     
  • At 10:41 a.m., Blogger Nikki Neurotic said…

    Good luck...I'm rather slack myself when it comes to exercising. My mom's getting on my case about it...so I suppose I should get on it as well.

     
  • At 11:15 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You can totally lose five pounds no problem! Enjoy the bootcamp!

     
  • At 1:06 p.m., Blogger Ahmed said…

    Woo, I got a shoutout/link! Good luck on your goals. I've gone to the gym 3 times this week :) and hopefully more on the weekend. I also bought an excercise ball....but I've only used that once so far.

     
  • At 3:36 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well im happy that your getting yourself to the gym even if it is not exactly for yourself right now...but it will soon turn to be...cause it feels so good to workout and once you get into the routine of it you feel uncomplete if you miss even one day...at least for me anyways...i got back into it since the whole time i was FL i was stuffing my fat ass with everything in sight..lol...but now thats done im back at it again..and i personally dont think you need to lose 5 pounds...swimsuits dont look like on girls that are sticks and dont have curves...but do turn all that so-called "fat" into muscle...and im so excited for you!!...and please have it like end of August cause my school starts Sept. 3rd i believe...and i would LOVE to be there on your special day!!....well goodluck on your bootcamp..its tough but well-worth it!

     
  • At 7:00 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Fu: 11:50pm oh gosh, you're just like V! 11:50 pm is past my bedtime, I don't know how you both can go so late - but I guess there's less people at night?

    Sara: I must confess, a sad sad thing actually put this plan into action. My favourite pair of Parasuco jeans ripped in the butt... it's unrepairable (trust me). So when I told V about it do you know what he said? He said, and I quote him directly, "that's what you get for eating so much cheesecake" - can you believe it!! So yeah, I'm doing this bootcamp for him, BUT also to show him that he dare never say anything like that again!

    Fatima: Add my chocolate cake to that. And the cheesecake I ate last week - which might have been the start of my problems (see above lol).

    Umar: Well you could do it for the same reason as me - your fiancee should be motivation enough!

    I just this week put in comment moderation (why didn't I ever explore that function before?) ... the anonymous comments were just getting to be too much, I mean there's only so many times you can say "if you don't like me or my life, then don't read about it!" - after that it just gets tiresome! Hmm.. I was going to write a post about switching to this function, thanks for bringing it up, it reminded me :)

    Silverneurotic: Don't worry, now that I've started jogging, my mom makes it her responsibility to remind me to go every night. I think it's a mom thing :S

    Ruby: I think so too - it's more the muscle and toning that's hard - and mostly because I don't have any muscle to start with (really, I have absolutely none).

    Samia: We need to talk about Florida, I want to know everything! And I want to see pictures!! And as soon as we pick a date you'll be one of the first to know... stay tuned, a major step is occuring this weekend, Inshallah, but I can't blog about it yet in case it doesn't happen :S

     
  • At 3:22 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Chocolate and cheesecake are the devil's tools!

    :D

    When my exams are over...I'm planning to get my butt into action at the gym.

    I like the bikini - but I'm too shy to wear it just like that! I usually wear shorts and those "surfer" tops when I go swimming. Yet, I bought a pink bikini from Billabong a month ago - I LOVE IT! The fat needs to go before December comes so I can fit into it again - I blame exam chocolate consumption!!

    When you're married - you do want your husband to know that he married a stunner...hehe :P

     
  • At 6:29 p.m., Blogger hema said…

    wow starting the day with situps? you're brave! hope you can keep it up!
    we have a treadmill in the cellar which is so convinient, but i guess you miss out on the fresh air and the buzz of being outside.
    i have the best recipe of chocloate cheesecake, i'll post it for you, but after you are married!!

     
  • At 7:28 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Fatima: I like it too (they have some other nice ones too *sigh*), but I could never wear it like that either! That's why I need to have a private pool/or an empty beach so I can wear it just for myself, him, the sky, plant-life, the animals, etc. lol.

    I didn't know you guys had Billabong in SA :P

    Hema: Don't tempt me, chocolate cheesecake = YUM! Plus I ate too many potatos for dinner so now I'm going to have to double my jog tonight :S

    P.S. Is "cellar" like a basement? I'm thinking Wizard of Oz :D

     
  • At 7:36 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    I was just checking Billabong's website and Canada isn't even on it so Fatima just ignore my little comment, apparently you guys have MANY locations and we can't even make it on to their site lol.

     
  • At 3:22 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hehe, good! Exercise brings balance to the body and spirit.

    It makes one think clearly and positively :)

    Very nice :)

    1-2-3..1-2-3..1-2-3... :P

     
  • At 1:13 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Taqdeer: Maybe you're right, I did double my round of jogging yesterday and came home and marked two essays on the spot (I was impressed with myself, but also was at the point where I couldn't breath so I figured if I don't mark the essays the students will never see them again lol).

     
  • At 3:04 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Ahmed: Sorry I didn't see your comment there! An exercise ball eh? Do you mean the big blue ones that are comfy to put your legs up onto while watching TV? :D Hey, I'm putting it to better use now... I actually did some kind of squeezing thing with it - not sure if that did anything but it was something! Thanks again for the inspiration, and good luck with your goals, I'm totally going to stick to mine!!

     
  • At 10:49 a.m., Blogger Ahmed said…

    I was wondering where my comment went :P

    Yep, except mine is big and silver...I've only used it 3times so far...but I'm hoping I'll start doing in daily...hopefully...and thanks, good luck to you too :)

     
  • At 11:57 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Liya, we have Billabong, Lizzard, Quiksilver (my fave) and a lot of other stores :P You HAVE to come down! :D

     
  • At 3:31 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Ahmed: Yeah I'm still getting used to this comment moderation thing lol. Silver is much cooler than blue, you're lucky :D


    Fatima: We have Billabong too - it's just not on their website *humph* lol ... yesterday my mom was talking about how if V and I were to go to SA for our honeymoon it would be cheap because we could stay with family!! I quickly tried to get rid of that idea LOL *sigh* moms!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home