I'm a Marking Maniac
How do you tell a new teacher from an experienced teacher? The new teacher takes her marking with her everywhere she goes. I marked on the bus to Yorkdale. I marked on the bus home. I even marked AT Yorkdale - the stores weren't open yet - don't worry, I'm not completely pathetic, I did fit in enough shopping to make me feel guilty about not wedding-saving. Whatever! V is holed up in his room studying and refuses to give me my much deserved phone time. I want a divorce. Okay, not a divorce, but I think we need to sign a pre-nup that clearly states that IF there's a problem, I get to hurt him. Like physically.
It was a blind date of sorts: Mezba, Ahmed, Ruby, Samosa, Isheeta, and and my unfinished tiramisu? :D

[Actual dessert but not my picture]
I have 7 more papers to mark. If I read one more paper on how "love is defined as a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person," I think I'll scream.
I can't wait to wear my new clothes tomorrow.
I wish I bought shoes.
It was a blind date of sorts: Mezba, Ahmed, Ruby, Samosa, Isheeta, and and my unfinished tiramisu? :D

[Actual dessert but not my picture]
I have 7 more papers to mark. If I read one more paper on how "love is defined as a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person," I think I'll scream.
I can't wait to wear my new clothes tomorrow.
I wish I bought shoes.
28 Comments:
At 10:35 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
ummm i dont sounf like the haraam/halal police...but umm just wanted to let you know that you should be careful with tiramisu...cause at a lot of places...they contain liqueur...so umm yep. anyway other than that shopping rocks and you shouldaaaa gotten new shoes too! :D
At 10:43 p.m.,
'liya said…
Anonymous: I had no idea...
Thank you for telling me, I actually looked up the recipe now and you're right. I wish I had known before, my one Italian friend makes it without and it never occured to me that otherwise you would make it with. Now I feel yucky :( I think I'll call tomorrow to get some peace of mind...
At 11:26 p.m.,
mezba said…
hello... it was nice to finally meet you. I must tell you that you are the first person of your nationality that I met (also the prettiest) and V is a lucky man (when you are not physically hurting him that is lol). Again I must reiterate that I wish some of our high school teachers were half as cool as you!
The papers you are marking are dealing with love?
"Love is when the other person can become your best friend." That's my line (stolen from bollywood).
TIRAMISU... wait, didn't I have some of that too? OMYGOSHU....
PS. A lot of places actually serve you virgin drinks (no alcohol) if you haven't ordered wine.
At 11:31 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
sorry...didnt mean to make you feel yucky! just wanted to let you know is all... i know a lot of places that make it without liquer...but i know that some restaurants(especially the ones that wanna serve the 'authentic' stuff) they use liquer in their versions of tiramisu. let's just hope where you ate it was too cheap to make the authentic stuff! plus...it's not like you knew...so it's not your fault!
At 5:53 a.m.,
hema said…
ooh did you have the meeting up with blog friends?! i'd love to do something like that one day.
i agree, you shouldn't feel bad about whatever you ate that may have been haraam. it's not like you knew.
you are such a good marker lol. i'd lose it on public transsport, i'm such a scatter brain!
At 7:58 a.m.,
youngMuslimah said…
assalamalaikum
I'm here via AKA's blog. SO you're getting married?! CONGRATS!!! Seems the whole world is tying the knot except me:(
At 9:28 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
It was fabulous meeting you chica! We should really get together again! We didn't get to oooh and ahhh at all your shopping though, just a couple things!
At 10:11 a.m.,
Aishah said…
urgh, marking. this is why i will never pursue my dream of becoming a teacher
At 2:28 p.m.,
Unknown said…
Yes, I think they add some form of alcohol to Tiramisu; rum I think? Or is it vodka? Not sure - all alcohol smells the same to me ~shrug shoulders~
Hema - you can spot a teacher on public transport (esp the train) as they're frantically ticking away to get as much done before they get home! Oh and perhaps us UKers could meet up one day :p
At 2:56 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
blog meetings are such fun!!!!
i love them!
man..i'm such a g33k.
i'll make non-alcoholic tiramisu for you when u come to SA...k liya?
including chocolate cake...chocolate lamingtons....
ok ... desserts are distracting me from studying!!!
(yes i'm still writing - last paper on 5 June! 2 more to go baby! :D)
At 6:33 p.m.,
'liya said…
Mezba: WE ARE SAVED!!! LOL I just called to find out about the tiramisu and there isn't any in it. I apologize for leading you into tiramisu temptation... I really was pushing it on you!
Oh, and yes, you were lovely to meet too... You AND your hair both hehe :D
P.S If you were marrying V you'd want to hurt him too!
Anonymous: You have a point, I had no clue and I usually check these things out to the detail. I guess the place was "too cheap" :) um.. thanks for scaring me to death lol.
Hema: I'm lucky because the bus I took is quite cushy so it felt like I was marking papers at home on my couch! All marked, gave back today, and broke a few hearts - the life of a teacher, what can you do ?! :D
Youngmuslimah: The whole world? - I think not! My "case" is slightly different, my 'marriage' has been dragging on for far too long. If I don't get married this year I think I'll shoot myself.
P.S But you are "young"? By young I assume teen?
Ruby: That's true, you guys only got to see one shopping bag... the others had some good stuff too! I need to have some self-control, I'm NOT going to Square 1 at all this week on my lunch NOT ONCE.
P.S you guys are great!
Aishah: Aww, don't let the marking hold you back! If it's your dream GO FOR IT!! We need more people who want to satisfy their dream and less who go in it for the money/summers off/because they don't know what else to do and haven't been "married off" yet. I say that with sarcasm because I know people in it for those reasons.
Sumera: It didn't occur to me to sniff my desert lol ... and speaking about sniffing things, oh gosh, I'm supposed to interview my students this week and we were talking about how to be presentable and one of the questions asked was whether they should have gum/mints or something before coming up for the interview. I assured them I wouldn't be sniffing their breath or sitting THAT close lol
Fatima: When we have our SA blog meeting, I'll definitely be expecting some non-alcoholic tiramisu :D
Good luck with your exams! Only a week to go!! Wow, it seems like you've been writing them forever.. or at least I feel like I keep asking you if they're done yet!
At 7:27 p.m.,
Nikki Neurotic said…
There's a lot of foods that are made with liquor...however, if it's cooked then the alcohol evaporates and is no longer present in the food...it's just the taste of the liquor or wine that remains.
I don't know how strict the dietary laws are but you'd be surprised how many dishes have things like sherry, or white wine. Some people even use beer in BBQ sauces.
At 8:56 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Too bad I was a little tied up but would have come as well... glad you guys enjoyed it. There's always next time!
As for Tiramisu, yes generally anything Italian or German I automatically assume they are putting wine/rum in it unless told otherwise. And tiramisu is as Italian as they come!
At 9:31 p.m.,
'liya said…
Silverneurotic: Yeah I know it's in everything, I might as well give up eating lol. Salads included. I think it's just because that whenever I ate it before it was fine so it didn't occur to me to check.
Haleem: Next time!
When I'm ready to quit teaching I think I'll open up my own non-alcoholic tiramisu bakery. You know the first thing V said when I called him to tell him about this was "thank God now we don't have to have a tiramisu wedding cake." *sigh* why are men so insensitive?
At 11:37 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
I've seen many teachers like you, marking away whilst travelling, eating lunch, whatever. I'm always interested in what they are marking, try to catch a glimpse, especially if it looks like highschool material, just to see how things have changed...hehe.
I heard the same thing about tiramisu. My personal favourite is chocolate mousse...mmmmmm.
At 2:41 a.m.,
youngMuslimah said…
These days it's like everyone's geting married, SO many in my family/friends alone and now on blogosphere!
I'm no teen........
and you'll get married insha'Allah!
At 4:48 a.m.,
NuRAAN said…
OOOooh the topic of liquer/alcohol etc being added to food/dessert etc.. yeh its like torture cos here in cape town u gotta ask at most places just to be sure - and since i'm a chef(muslim chef) i also find it like my duty to warn muslims abt every menu item that contains it! lol.. i just find it safer to ask before i try anything new off menu's:)
Ever since i'v visited a Muslim country, i kinda wish sum things could be like it is there, like not having to worry abt alcohol being added to the food..
oh my word, shoppind is a whole other topic!!!hehe but i think the guys will curse us for having an entire post covering shopping n how fun it is!:P
At 9:54 a.m.,
Nauman said…
How did you go about selecting whom to invite for this "blind date"?
At 12:55 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
lol! 'get to hurt him.. like physically' ! lol
Don't woory, if you keep shopping, it'l hurt him :P
hehehe
At 1:03 p.m.,
Ahmed said…
Hey it was fun meeting you and all the other bloggers! Its nice to be able to put faces to names and get to know more about people. We should all do it again :)
Oh and I forgot to ask, why don't you get V to start blogging?
At 4:59 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
It's not a very good idea to meet non-mahrams for lunch.
At 5:23 p.m.,
'liya said…
Mousehunter: Introduce me to some of these travelling-teachers so they can relieve me of some of my marking! I have to admit, I did get a lot of work done on the bus, and that made me appreciate the bus once more. You know, come to think of it, there was some guy kinda leaning over and looking my way. Do you happen to have curly blonde hair? :D
Youngmuslimah: InshAllah for both of us. There's a time for everything and for everyone it comes at different times that we can't rush or predict. Most of my family getting married is overseas so I feel kinda distant from everything happening. I'm sure if it's happening around you it'll seem like a lot, but either way, you never know who you can meet at a wedding right? :)
Nuraan: Really, you're a chef? I had no idea! That's so cool! What type of food do you specialize in? And do you have your own restuarant? Why can't I have a yummy job like that? Oh yeah, I hate the kitchen lol ..
Nauman: Ah it wasn't really blind!
Taqdeer: Shhhh he doesn't know about the shopping yet!! - I don't think he's read this post yet lol.
Ahmed: Absolutely! And you'll be back here soon anyway yay!
Get V to start blogging? Well, in the beginning I kept asking him because I was curious about how and what he'd write about but now, NO WAY!! - he might say things about me that I don't think the world needs to hear - just like how I say things about him to make him mad :D
Anonymous: Why? Because I'd fall in love with one of em and leave my darling V? Sorry man, give women some more credit, I'd never leave my lovey-dovey even though I say I want to beat him with stick!
At 7:00 p.m.,
Asmaa said…
I'm going to have to agree and say that Mezba's hair is it's own entity, and is deserving of ackowledgment :D
At 8:29 p.m.,
'liya said…
Asmaa: lol :)
At 1:33 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
LOL...blond and curly...far from....far from. Black and very slightly wavey. Not a transit taker anymore though, job location doesn't allow it.
At 6:54 p.m.,
'liya said…
Mousehunter: Guess it wasn't you then, just some pretty boy with blonde curly hair lol. A car beats transit any day :D
At 1:45 a.m.,
AKA said…
Anonymous : go sit on a tack.
'liya, I learned the hard way about tiramisu too..I didn't know most places made it with liquer but I guess since we were innocent and our eyes and tongues were thinking of how good it looked/tasted there wasn't more to think about.
I'm sooooo sad I missed out on the blogger meet-up!! I saw the pictures and I feel I will Photoshop myself in and pretend I was there. I'm home in August so if you're done weddingy stuff then we can plan another get-together :)
At 9:33 a.m.,
'liya said…
Aka: Hehe "Go sit on a tack" - perfect!
We should definitely have another meet in August, it would be great to meet you! I'm much more interested in hearing all about Australia than doing any planning :D
Post a Comment
<< Home