Listless
I always wanted a guy who could lift me up. I don't mean just pick me up for a few seconds, I mean lift as in fully sweep me off the floor in one smooth motion and carry me. I need that strength. I'm attracted to the strength, that power, that manliness that comes from being able to carry the princess in his arms and walk off into the sunset.
Yesterday when I was driving home from work I saw a male student carrying a female student home in his arms cradled like a baby and I just thought "aww" ... it was so sweet and innocent... they were totally lost in each other's eyes and it looked like nothing else in the world mattered to them. It reminded me of a time in high school when V carried me from my school to the movie theatre nearby because I had complained that my feet were hurting. I remember the sandals I was wearing that day... I haven't worn them since. Skip forward a few years and I remember him carrying me in the park in that same way. We were the only ones around and it was a beautiful day much like today. I tried to lift him up but couldn't get him a few centimetres of the ground before my arms felt like mush and I quickly had to put him down. He however was showing off his strength by swooping down out of nowhere and lifting me up, carrying me, and then pretending to drop me, but not letting go. I miss that. I miss his strong arms. A boy with skinny arms is not right.
Not too long ago V began his job as a personal trainer. The gym that he works at is downtown and his travelling time is long. In between his summer school and work, already I feel like I barely see him.
I want to be carried like a baby again.
I feel a bit listless. I found out today that because I'm not a permanent teacher I can collect Employment Insurance in the summer. Should I be comforted by that fact? I know the summer will pass by quickly and my parents are really pushing me not to work. They want me to start planning the wedding, but how long does it take to plan a wedding? They also want me to buy a car with V. I've already picked one out in my mind, it's a shimmery pale pink. Somehow I don't think V-my muscle man will really go for that though. I don't know how I feel about giving up my Volvo but my dad has been plotting to take it back for awhile now. Anyways, I've already applied for an education-related but not teacher job. It doesn't pay a whole lot but it'll look good on my resume.
& The jobs came out on the internal hiring list today. They all suck. There's about 6 English jobs, all paired with subjects that I'm not qualified to teach. And I stayed up so late yesterday working on my application package - I made it great, I was so inspired, I did half of it in poetry because I figured that would help me stand out from the rest. And now there's nothing to apply to. I can't even call V to complain because he's at work right now and by the time he gets home I'll be sleeping.
I feel like digging up my old rollerblades and skating off into the sunset.
Yesterday when I was driving home from work I saw a male student carrying a female student home in his arms cradled like a baby and I just thought "aww" ... it was so sweet and innocent... they were totally lost in each other's eyes and it looked like nothing else in the world mattered to them. It reminded me of a time in high school when V carried me from my school to the movie theatre nearby because I had complained that my feet were hurting. I remember the sandals I was wearing that day... I haven't worn them since. Skip forward a few years and I remember him carrying me in the park in that same way. We were the only ones around and it was a beautiful day much like today. I tried to lift him up but couldn't get him a few centimetres of the ground before my arms felt like mush and I quickly had to put him down. He however was showing off his strength by swooping down out of nowhere and lifting me up, carrying me, and then pretending to drop me, but not letting go. I miss that. I miss his strong arms. A boy with skinny arms is not right.
Not too long ago V began his job as a personal trainer. The gym that he works at is downtown and his travelling time is long. In between his summer school and work, already I feel like I barely see him.
I want to be carried like a baby again.
I feel a bit listless. I found out today that because I'm not a permanent teacher I can collect Employment Insurance in the summer. Should I be comforted by that fact? I know the summer will pass by quickly and my parents are really pushing me not to work. They want me to start planning the wedding, but how long does it take to plan a wedding? They also want me to buy a car with V. I've already picked one out in my mind, it's a shimmery pale pink. Somehow I don't think V-my muscle man will really go for that though. I don't know how I feel about giving up my Volvo but my dad has been plotting to take it back for awhile now. Anyways, I've already applied for an education-related but not teacher job. It doesn't pay a whole lot but it'll look good on my resume.
& The jobs came out on the internal hiring list today. They all suck. There's about 6 English jobs, all paired with subjects that I'm not qualified to teach. And I stayed up so late yesterday working on my application package - I made it great, I was so inspired, I did half of it in poetry because I figured that would help me stand out from the rest. And now there's nothing to apply to. I can't even call V to complain because he's at work right now and by the time he gets home I'll be sleeping.
I feel like digging up my old rollerblades and skating off into the sunset.
19 Comments:
At 9:01 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
what car ru planning on getting?...it might seem like you don't need time to plan a wedding, but believe me you DO!!! And don't worry once you guys are married you can make him carry you everyday :)
At 10:01 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
Please sister, have a little bit of shame. I don’t think it is wise for you to expose your own sins and tell everyone about you frolicking through the park. Realize that you may be a mother some day, would you want your daughter carrying on like this, I sure know I wouldn’t. I leave you with a hadith of the Prophet (PBUH) in hopes that you take this to heart:
All the sins of my followers will be forgiven except to those who commit them openly. It is really thoughtless of a man to commit a sin at night which Allah conceafrom public knowledge, then comes out in the morning and says, o so and so! I did such and such thing yesterday. He spent the night concealed by his Lord and in the morning he reveals what Allah has kept from the knowledge of others. (Related by al-Bukhari and Muslim).
At 11:05 a.m.,
sara said…
u do! trust me u do!!!! I'm dying under all this planning that i had no idea was necessary!!! and if ur not working, it's all the better!!!!!!!
At 8:32 p.m.,
Jane said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
At 8:33 p.m.,
Ahmed said…
I know this wasn't the main point of your post....and I know people that have claimed employment insurance....but I don't know...I always felt its kind of wrong to claim it when you don't really need it. And that it should be left for those that are truly in need.
At 8:37 p.m.,
'liya said…
Aman: A pink car :D Just kidding! you know what, everytime car talk comes up, my mom mentions the car you had in high school and how I should get a car like that. Then I have to remind her that you've moved on and have a new car now lol - anyways, any car tips? Call me!
Anonymous: Sorry man, but I fail to see how this is a sin. To me this is something beautiful and I would absolutely LOVE if any future daughter of mine could have her husband carry her through a gorgeous park on a beautiful day sent from God. If I have a son, I would hope he would do this for his wife.
Sara: Can you just like um send me all your plans? I don't know whether to work or not! I want to, it's fun, but my parents are really on my case to get planning.
At 8:41 p.m.,
'liya said…
Ahmed: It's an interesting situation because it's actually money that I deserve. Permanent teachers get that money automatically deducted from each paycheque and then spread over the summer. Teachers like me don't get that money deducted to be given during the summer, but our contracts are 10 months - so... if I'm to be paid according to contract, which is what I signed, I should get what was assigned to me - no? Otherwise that wouldn't be fair.
I don't think I did a good job explaining this :S
At 10:53 p.m.,
Umar said…
today was a good day for rollerblading. :)
At 10:54 p.m.,
FU said…
actually, EI money, is YOUR money.
if you are unemployed, you have EVERY right to collect it. They take money out of your paycheck while you are working for that very purpose.
EI is NOT welfare.
At 11:50 p.m.,
'liya said…
Umar: Yes it was! But I changed my mind, I want to go bicycling now :D
Fu: Yeah I don't think it's welfare either, as I mentioned above, it's taken out of the paycheques for permanent teachers and used to pay them over the summer. I don't get money taken out (yippee!) but I still deserve my share - and I'm going to make sure I get my share cause I sure as hell deserve it (I have like 1000+ papers to mark this weekend)!
At 1:59 a.m.,
Ahmed said…
Liya: yeah...I'm confused....if your contract is for 10months and you got paid for 10months...isn't that fine? and unrelated to EI?
FU: Thanks for making that distinction, I did some short/quick reading on it and while I still have some minor qualms about it I think I'd probably collect now too, if eligible.
At 4:27 a.m.,
hema said…
"...that comes from being able to carry the princess in his arms and walk off into the sunset"
so you're a romantic? i think you have been reading too much Charlotte Bronte:)
are you getting married? perhaps i should come to Canada to gatecrash the wedding?
i think you are entitled to that money too. it's really unfair they make teachers sign ten month contracts when they know all their colleauges are getting paid over the summer for doing the same job!
because i get a bit bored over the summer (yeh..i have no life!) i mark papers for the examination boards. you know, the ones who set the papers externally? it's ok money, looks good on your resume and you pick up extra tips on what the examiners want from the students.
At 4:11 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Liya: Plan plan plan! I know when it was my brother's and sister's weddings it was a crazy time. But shukr alhamdulilah, we managed to get everything done in 3months :)
I already know that InshAllah, when the day does come for me to get married, I want an extremely simple nikah and a day later a walima - no wedding reception. However, my dad will probably insist otherwise since I'm the youngest.
Liya, don't stress about the jobs. InshAllah, something will come your way soon :)
At 12:58 a.m.,
Nauman said…
It's amazing how life unfolds for each of us and how the decisions that we must make affect us at each turn.
Inshallah, you'll be okay. Just keep your eye on the prize and go after it. Be relentless.
At 9:19 a.m.,
'liya said…
Ahmed: My contract is for 10 months but I don't get paid for 10 months unless I claim the extra months! - I know, crazy! And I didn't even know about this and wouldn't have known if it weren't for a nice colleague of mine who sat down and explained everything to me. I owe her a big thank you.
Hema: Hey, the job you described is one I actually applied for! We call it EQAO (http://www.eqao.com/)Actually, I applied to it for the last 2 years, was hired, and turned them down both times to work at an elementary school summer school program instead. So this year I applied again (I hope they don't remember my name lol) , but now I want to work at the summer school AGAIN - I don't know what to do because they overlap each other... but like you said, it would look awesome on a resume (as opposed to summer school camp again).
Fatima: 3 months? - okay that's perfect! Well since I want mine to be realyyyy small too, that means I can fit planning into 2.5 months right? That's pretty much all the time I'll have since I finish teaching in June... and we're planning for either the end of August or the first week of September... I guess this is why my parents don't want me to have a summer job :S
Nauman: My application package was totally relenteless! Only I didn't even get to use it ... *sigh* I know I should be more positive :(
At 10:23 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
We had great caterer's and wedding planners who took care of everything!
:D
I would suggest you get The Asian Bride magazine .. my sister used that and it helped a lot.
It's an international magazine...check it out in a indian bridal store :)
At 5:07 p.m.,
'liya said…
Fatima: Eeks! I don't have any wedding planners and I most likely won't - I'm "supposed" to be the planner lol. I will have caterers though.
The Asian Bride eh? I'll definitely have a look at it, thanks for the suggestion... if you have anymore ideas please send them my way!
At 10:36 p.m.,
Nikki Neurotic said…
I'm a fairly small person...so certain guys that I've been friends with over the years have taken it upon themselves to pick me up at some point or another. However, I'm not one that likes heights and stuff...even for someone to pick me up. So when they attempt to pick me up I usually end up throwing a fit until they return me to solid ground.
At 10:56 p.m.,
'liya said…
Silverneurotic: I guess you couldn't kick them or they'd drop you :D
Post a Comment
<< Home