To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

It's THAT time.

I'm under SO much stress right now - not related to my job in any way - but also completely related to my job in every way - that is, my future job. I have a huge application package to get ready for applying to positions for the 2007-2008 school year. High school positions come out on Thursday and I was told that they disappear before you can even blink.

I've been avoiding working on the package because I don't want to leave my school, but as a non-permanent teacher I don't have a choice... student enrollment for next year is down and they're cutting teachers... because I'm not permanent and I'm brand new, I'll probably be the first to go as we already have too many English teachers. I appreciate everything that the admin has done to help me, they've gone way out of their way to do everything they can to keep me. They're the best and I couldn't have asked for anything better, but maybe I really did luck out this semester in getting the full-time position because they liked me... I'm so appreciative for that. I've had an awesome year so far and it just keeps getting better every day. What they say about having the hardest year of your life as a first year teacher - nonsense in my case! Just thinking of not being at this school next year makes me all teary. I love my classes, I love my students and I love the school... *sigh* why oh why can't someone get pregnant or move away so I can stay? :(

In other news, I ran into HIM today. HIM refers to the teacher that I've seen around the school who I always thought looked SO familiar. I never thought much of it, I've even chatted with him before about random things like photocopying, but today it hit me -- that teacher, was MY SCIENCE TEACHER in high school! When I realized it I couldn't believe it! I'm teaching alongside one of my own teachers!! I can't for the love of anything remember what grade it was, probably one of the junior years, but by gosh, he was my teacher! Should I tell him? I feel weird. In many ways, realizing that made me feel very young... too young.

...It's like, you think you're growing up, that you're an adult in the working world, that you've been working for a full school year in charge of teenage students of your own, and then something like this makes you feel like a kid again... kinda like I should be walking into a science lab and taking out my binder, sitting down, and preparing to take notes. But I'm not the student anymore, - it's May, and that still hasn't sunk in. Did I really graduate from university last year? And for that matter, when the hell did I graduate from high school? I want to take notes and highlight them with pretty colours.

14 Comments:

  • At 8:50 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey 'Liya! Don't stress out! Inshallah you'll get to stay at the same school. If you don't...well Inshallah you'll get an awesome position somewhere else! You sound like a wonderful teacher....any other school would be lucky to have an amazing teacher like you on their staff! Hope everything works out well for you! Take care

     
  • At 11:42 p.m., Blogger Nauman said…

    You'll be okay, 'liya. You've got yourself a lot of experience in a short period of time and that should count for something.

    There's always the idea of looking at different school boards further away... they need people up north for every type of job it seems including teachers. :)

     
  • At 12:06 a.m., Blogger mezba said…

    Ah, at last a teacher related post!

    Should you tell him? Depends if he is a psycho I guess. If you tell him he may look fondly of you and take you under his wing and hint hint the administration may keep you.

    On the other hand he could be a psycho... he's a SCIENCE teacher after all, and if you believe what you see in the movies ...

     
  • At 12:55 a.m., Blogger FU said…

    see.. i would think working with your former teachers would make you feel old!!!

    you're an old lady... and don't u forget it!

     
  • At 1:11 a.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Shireen: Thank you :) Inshallah I can stay... however in the mean time I need to get prepared. I'm 1/4 done the application package and tomorrow I have to finish to send it off by the deadline on Thursday :S You'd think I'd learn from telling my students "don't leave things for the last minute." And now I have to wake up in 5 hours! Argh!

    Nauman: If I taught up North I'd make A LOT of money, that's for sure, but I wouldn't be happy. I want to stay in Mississauga forever ..as pathetic as that sounds lol.

    Mezba: LOL I take it my love related posts don't relate to my male readers :D

    The admin wouldn't keep me because of him - he's just as new to the school as I am (he just transferred this semester from my old high school) only, he has a permanent position because he's been teaching for hundreds of years - although he doesn't look THAT old - just your regular friendly grandfather!

    Hmm if science teachers are pyscho, what does that make English teachers? And what about art teachers? Hmm, Mezba, you're inspiring a post related to this from me!

    Fu: You're evil!!! Pure evil!

     
  • At 6:18 p.m., Blogger hema said…

    i have avoided going back to my old school at any cost, because i know it would make me feel like a kid again. it really would be too weird!
    i will remember you in my duas for the teaching post. hope you manage to stay at the school you are in. the second year is always easier in the same school, as you are used to the surroundings and the way things are done.

    your fellow "psycho" english teacher :)

     
  • At 11:23 p.m., Blogger Nikki Neurotic said…

    My dad works with my 5th grade teacher, except she's now a guidance counselor...her son is my brother's age and they sometimes hang out. It's a bit strange, but it doesn't make me feel old...maybe because I don't work with her?

     
  • At 10:50 a.m., Blogger Ahmed said…

    InshaAllah you'll get a great job at a fantastic school :)

    I'd totally tell the teacher! I think thats pretty cool. Particularly if he was/is a good teacher.

     
  • At 1:02 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Inshallah you will get a good job at a great school :)
    Don't stress! :)

     
  • At 6:02 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Hema: Yeah I can never go back to my high school - I'd feel too weird! I hope I can stay too... the first year wasn't hard at all and I'm all adjusted and happy and *sigh* :(

    P.S Let's think of a different word than "psycho" - we need something cooler, "pyscho" can go for Science teachers hehe
    BTW what grade do you teach? This might be the start of a lovely teacher-blog-friendship!

    Silverneurotic: No no, I felt young not old!! Fu, look what you did now! But yes, it's probably because you don't work with her. If you did, would you call her Mrs. or go by first name?

    Ahmed: Yeah it's pretty cool! Only I don't know how to bring it up now... and I see him all the time - what do I say, "Hi, you taught me a few years ago, do you remember?" Which of course he doesn't remember because I didn't say a word in his class. But he was very nice and still is... hmm.. I will soon!

    Fatima: Pray for me! Please!

     
  • At 6:03 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good luck with apps! You will do awesome I know it! GO LIYA!

     
  • At 6:06 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Ruby: Thanks, I hope so.. pray for me! I was up till 3:00 finishing the application package yesterday and felt like kicking myself for not starting it earlier.

    Everyone, PRAY for me!!!

     
  • At 12:41 p.m., Blogger hema said…

    "BTW what grade do you teach? This might be the start of a lovely teacher-blog-friendship! "

    i hope so:) allthough we seemed destined to disagree!(see my reply to students' swearing on my blog).

    grade??? i teach 16-18 year olds who mainly dropped out of School or didn't pass the first time around, although i have some classes taking English to progress on to University.
    What age range to you teach?

     
  • At 9:02 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Hema: Grade 11 -- so 16-17 year olds, (with the occasional 18 year olds for the same reason as you).

    That's okay, teachers are allowed to disagree with each other, students do it with us all the time :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home