On Hold
I have so many thing to blog about and I don't know where to start. I've been SO incredibly busy lately I just had to put things on hold. Today is the first "sick" day I ever took, and in a way I really am sick, my throat is so sore I can barely swallow. Trust this to happen to me on a gorgeously hot day. I don't get sick all winter and then when summer rolls in, I get the chills. My students best behave for the sub-teacher though I'm not too concerned, they're good kids. Actually they're great kids, and even though this is just one day, I miss not being there.
I have a lot of things going on in my life.
The wedding has been moved.
I wanted it to be at the end of August - August 26th to be exact. We had the date set and everything was okay, and then I realized just how LITTLE time that is. School officially ends on the 28th of June. That would have given me about 2 months to plan the wedding. 2 months is NOT enough. I thought it would be, but boy was I wrong! - and I realized that this week when I already began to feel on edge and my stomach began to resemble a bundle of knots:
(the little red dot is Advil)
In other words, I couldn't deal.
V initially wanted the wedding to be the first week of September. That would have been perfect had it not been the fact that that's a teacher's busiest week. I don't want to be planning a wedding while making lesson plans at the same time. To quote my dad, "You can't get married and go to work the next day!"
We then realized that obviously we can't have it later on in September because that's Ramadan.
So NOW, we have settled on the weekend after Eid. I won't be able to have my wedding outside like planned, but I found the next best thing - a very intimate and romantic hall nestled away from civilization and unlike any place I've been to before - and it's perfect. We met with the owner last weekend and my family agreed, it's the best fit for me because it's unique and that's what I always wanted. It's okay that I won't be taking pictures outside with flowers galore. I think it's cooler to take pictures outside with the backdrop of the leaves changing colour. It'll go perfectly with my proposed colour scheme of white and gold. And, it's my favourite season anyway... so yes, I'm much happier now and also a lot more relaxed. V is too. At least the wedding won't be 1 week after his summer exams anymore. Now that we have the summer to plan things nicely and make sure everything is running smoothly, we can also enjoy ourselves in the process.
I have a lot of things going on in my life.
The wedding has been moved.
I wanted it to be at the end of August - August 26th to be exact. We had the date set and everything was okay, and then I realized just how LITTLE time that is. School officially ends on the 28th of June. That would have given me about 2 months to plan the wedding. 2 months is NOT enough. I thought it would be, but boy was I wrong! - and I realized that this week when I already began to feel on edge and my stomach began to resemble a bundle of knots:
(the little red dot is Advil)
In other words, I couldn't deal.
V initially wanted the wedding to be the first week of September. That would have been perfect had it not been the fact that that's a teacher's busiest week. I don't want to be planning a wedding while making lesson plans at the same time. To quote my dad, "You can't get married and go to work the next day!"
We then realized that obviously we can't have it later on in September because that's Ramadan.
So NOW, we have settled on the weekend after Eid. I won't be able to have my wedding outside like planned, but I found the next best thing - a very intimate and romantic hall nestled away from civilization and unlike any place I've been to before - and it's perfect. We met with the owner last weekend and my family agreed, it's the best fit for me because it's unique and that's what I always wanted. It's okay that I won't be taking pictures outside with flowers galore. I think it's cooler to take pictures outside with the backdrop of the leaves changing colour. It'll go perfectly with my proposed colour scheme of white and gold. And, it's my favourite season anyway... so yes, I'm much happier now and also a lot more relaxed. V is too. At least the wedding won't be 1 week after his summer exams anymore. Now that we have the summer to plan things nicely and make sure everything is running smoothly, we can also enjoy ourselves in the process.
- I can work in the summer like how I wanted.
- I can concentrate on making the biggest purchase of my life - a car (because to quote my dad again, "a girl shouldn't get married unless she has her own car" though I also suspect he just wants his Volvo back (even though it's on its last breath).
- I won't have to spend the money I made this year on the wedding but instead use the money I make in the summer.
- V can graduate with peace of mind.
Today is my sister's prom. It's only 12:30 and I can hear her upstairs getting ready. She accepted York yesterday - it was her first choice. I'm having a hard time believing she'll be entering university this year. Especially since I still feel like I still haven't left high school. My other sister is graduating from Ryerson in three weeks. She already found a job in her field of nursing. Even my brother is changing. He becomes a teenager in exactly two weeks. The only thing that remains constant is V. As usual, he makes me fight him for hours for a piece of gum -- and that has been the case for as long as I've known him.
19 Comments:
At 3:35 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
*sigh* an autumn wedding sounds lovely.
i'm not fond of winter/summer weddings though.
winter - too cold
summer - too hot and you're all sweaty and half melting away.
lol...
spring/autumn sounds lovely :)
great to see that you have the venue sorted out - that's the biggest priority! yay! :)
it's good to see you're more relaxed, and it's much better that way :)
pls pls send me pics? :D
good luck for the rest of the preparations :)
At 4:49 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
I'm glad things are working out well for you liya! My fingers are crossed for you! Your family, mashallah, all seem to be doing well very and you guys must be so busy! One getting married, one starting a real job, another one starting uni and the last one growing up! That's alot going on! :)
At 6:43 p.m.,
hema said…
i'm glad you have more time to plan the wedding. are you the first out of your siblings to marry? because that usually means parents want a hu--hge wedding!
and glad you are working during summer. are you taking the exam marking job? i can complain to you if i'm not the only one doing that! you know this year, we have to mark all the papers online?! they scan the papers in and you have to annotate them.
i notice your tag at the top is "to my pen, forgive me for typing"
i think soon pens will just become obsolete.
At 7:18 p.m.,
'liya said…
Fatima: You'll definitely get to see pictures - the place is beautiful, I just don't want to mention the name here for privacy, but I took some pictures of the place when we went to visit, and if I'm not too lazy I might email you some to see :D
I'm SO relieved to have the venue chosen! You were right when you said there's a lot of planning in these things!!
Ruby: I'm happy to be getting married (even though we had to move the date), I'm happy my sister found a great job, and happy my other sister is graduating high school ... but I don't want my brother to grow up!!! He's my little baby and how can I call a 13-year-old my "baby"? :S lol
Hema: Yup, I'm the oldest! But my parents and I actually want to have a very small wedding (as small as we can possibly get it) so that we can put the money where it counts: honeymoon, and later on a house. I'm not really into the whole big wedding thing, I'm a pretty quiet person and would feel more comfortable if it were smaller, plus I want to keep it simple (and elegant).
I'm definitely doing the marking job, I've never done it before but it should be interesting. I don't think it's online though, I don't think we're as high-tech as you guys!
At 8:48 p.m.,
thethinker said…
Fall weddings are always very beautiful. The weather is usually perfect.
At 6:34 p.m.,
Unknown said…
Ahhhhhh you're getting married? Forgive me, I'm so slow and such a scatter brain.
Congrats honey! :)
MY friend went absolutely nuts planning her wedding, and boy did she plan! Near the end she got tired of all the rushing around and just wanted it over with. But it was beautiful.
Insh'Allah yours will be too :D
At 9:04 p.m.,
Nikki Neurotic said…
Guess the delay will be good for everyone, however, I can imagine it's just a tad disappointing considering that you've probably had your heart set on the earlier date.
At 9:37 p.m.,
'liya said…
The Thinker: I hope so! I hope the leaves are pretty red, orange and yellow and that it's not a rainy day or too cold so that we can get in some pictures outside.
Sumera: Thanks! I hope I don't have to go nuts over my planning though! So far, I really couldn't take all the planning. That's why the step back to assess everything was needed. I'm going to try to do this as slowly and peacefully as possible and hopefully I won't have to kill V along the way since really he's no help at all!
Silverneurotic: I've learned that I can't set my heart on anything :S The most disapointed is probably my dad but at least now he has the excuse to bug me about a car... yesterday was supposed to be my rest day - instead he took me out to test drive cars!!
At 10:16 p.m.,
Umar said…
glad to hear you got things worked out.
you know, you can take pre-wedding outdoor photos while the weather is nice :)
At 1:38 a.m.,
FU said…
an eid wedding sounds wonderful
plus it wont be that cold.. fall is quite nice... expesially if u can get shots with the leaves in the forest and all that jazz.
u know waht... by the time u get married... i won't be in Toronto anymore...
At 11:46 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
So im happy that you've figured out and established when your gonna have your wedding...and that its gonna be less stressful for you...BUT i hope i can make it!!!...i have no idea when Eid is so fill me in so i can know way ahead of time if i can come....and to let them know if i can take a day off....and i wanna see pictures of this place too!!...and im so excited for you...and inshallah everything is gonna turn out wonderfully...and oh my god...middle sister is graduating?!?..and little sister is going to UNI!?!?!....i remember the little one just being born when we first became friends...time flies so fast....im soo excited for you though...oh by the way....i met his parents!!!....all went well except for me basically having a heartache with like 7 people staring at me since mashallah he has a big family...but ill fill you in to details when we talk.....2007 is turning out to be a good year for us no?...=D
At 7:07 p.m.,
'liya said…
Umar: lol I think I know what you're 'hinting' at :D
Fu: You won't be in Toronto? Is there something you're not telling us? I WANT TO KNOW!!!
Samia: You have to make it! Hey, if you can drive here in snowy weather for a reunion you'll be fine coming when the roads are good in the fall!! No excuses :D
At 3:11 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Garden weddings! Garden Weddings! :P
At 3:14 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
http://www.asianamag.com/
I'm lazy to go into my email..but check that link out...it's got a lot to do with bridal stuff :D
At 6:36 p.m.,
'liya said…
Fatima: I saved the link, thanks, will check it out. I still have to get that magazine you were telling me about. I keep telling myself to go to the bookstore but whenever I'm at the mall it's other things that call my name!!
At 9:50 a.m.,
sara said…
oh! and i thought i would make the wedding! :( an autumn wedding sounds beautiful! sorry i'm going to miss it! make sure u take lots of pics! i still have no idea how i'm going to take my wedding pics, my nikkah and reception are both after mugraib (therefore dark already)! will probably have to take gay indian-stage-pics. *bleh*
At 4:12 p.m.,
'liya said…
Sara: Come in October instead?!! Come on, don't you want to spend Eid with your family!!??? Please!!
At 2:45 a.m.,
sara said…
I can't our tickets have already been booked, and October is a busy time for Ismail at work.
At 6:54 p.m.,
'liya said…
Come without him?
:D
Post a Comment
<< Home