To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

What is love?

ImageChef.com - Create custom images


Music Note What is love
Baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me, no more
Baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me, no more...Music Note

Well it's that time of year to introduce lurrrve poetry, and what better way then to ask students to bring in their favourite love songs and use as a lesson introduction. Hence the above song has been in my head all day long (and it's not even a good song, in fact, it's downright annoying). Some of them had good taste, but wow, some of them just don't know what love is (or what music is)! And for that matter, what is love anyways?

Is this love:

To: §ügâ bâÿ bèê
From: V G
Sent: October 20, 2001

Baby, I just wanted to tell you that I love you, and all day today I was just thinking about you, I was supposed to clean my room but I ended up looking at your book and listening to your CD, thats why I called you so early, I couldnt take it anymore, my emotions were just too high so I just wanted to hear your voice. These last couple days I really started to think of how lucky I am to have someone so special and so caring in my life, you truly are a dream come true.


Is love that powerful and that consuming that it doesn't allow you to clean your room? Does it make you use words like "baby"? Does it make you yearn and want and need?

& Is love so powerful that it can do this:

To: §ügâ bâÿ bèê
From: V G
September 3, 2001


Since I last talked to you I still cant stop thinking about what you said. Honestly I dont think I was ever that hurt in my whole life. It felt like a knife right through the heart, then you twisted it around a bit, and then you pulled it out. I love you soooooooo much and I want to be with you forever... One thing good from all this is that I know a 1000% that I love you with all my heart and soul because if I didnt, I know that it wouldnt hurt this much.

Yikes, I don't even remember what I did to hurt him like that...

V... I'm sorry, whatever I did that day long ago still makes me feel guilty for make you hurt...
Remember that little treehouse attached to the slide at 'our park'? No, not our new park, our old park. Remember how we carved our initials into it with your car keys? I want to go back there this summer and check if it's still there. If it's not there, we need to make it be there.

***

This is one of the warm-up exercises I did with my students today and I'm going to ask everyone who reads this to please join in. All you have to do it simply complete the following sentence however you see fit:

Love is (fill in the blank).

Thanks guys.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres (1 Corinthians 13:4-8)

23 Comments:

  • At 9:47 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    I'll go first:

    Love is having someone there to let you warm your hands on their back when your own hands are ice cold. In summer, that same person will fan you with his/her hands if they see that you're too hot :)

     
  • At 11:58 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love is letting someone pick Dairy Queen when you really want baskin robbins!

     
  • At 6:24 a.m., Blogger NuRAAN said…

    love is... when your heart can smile with you when you do, it is the warmth you feel,it is extraordinary in so many ways.

     
  • At 7:44 a.m., Blogger Becky L said…

    Love is willing to give up everything for that person.

    Let me qualify that by saying, you're not always going to. That's what compromise is all about. but sometimes, you have to put aside you own "agenda" for the person you love.

    My example: I was at college in South Carolina. I absolutely loved it there. I had such wonderful friends and wonderful professors. And I had to decide if I loved Andrew enough to move back to Pennsylvania to be with him. [And if I was willing to give up all the flirtations I had with other guys-friends down at that college.] Finally I decided to do that.

    A simpler example: Over Christmas, I didnt want to go to one of his family get-togethers. I felt very strongly about it. [I really did have a good reason.] But I decided that b/c he really wanted us to be there, I would put aside my anger and go anyway.

    But, like I said earlier, it wont always happen that way. It shouldnt always happen that way. If your significant other isn't willing to compromise at all, then maybe he/she isnt the right one to be with.

     
  • At 9:39 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love is...a deep ocean of secrets! :)

     
  • At 11:07 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    loving someone so much you let them go without showing them you hurting because you know they need to grow without you

     
  • At 12:29 p.m., Blogger Zahra said…

    Love is...a symphony with all the parts playing in perfect harmony.

    It's also the only game never postponed because of the dark.

    A, don't get mad at me for writting in your blog!

     
  • At 2:05 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love is forever! :)

    I'M DONE!!! And you still havent e-mailed me LiYA!!! :)

     
  • At 2:09 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love is a feeling of spiritual affinity, and unless that affinity is created in a moment, it cannot be created in lifetimes or generations.

     
  • At 5:39 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Keep it coming guys this is great!


    Agent: THAT isn't love!! Love is going to Baskin Robbins because it's the right thing to do!!!!

    Nuraan: Lovely!

    Becky: "compromise" - absolutely!

    Anonymous 1: Deep! (both ocean and quote lol).

    Anonymous 2: That's one brave brave love.

    Zahra: *sigh*

    Faiza: Definitely forever. AND I EMAILED YOU!! TWICE! If it didn't go to you then who the hell did it go to??!! Email me at liyapilly@hotmail.com - please!

    Fatima: Wow. Beautiful :)

     
  • At 5:44 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    My students:

    Cute:

    - Love is my Xbox. No girl can ever compare.

    Student trying to earn brownie points:

    - Love is Ms. C's English class.

    SO did not work!

    Sweet:

    - Love is like finding the end of the rainbow and the treasure it holds, only you get to wake up to that treasure every day.

     
  • At 6:19 p.m., Blogger Asmaa said…

    Love is Shakespeare's 116th Sonnet :)

     
  • At 8:36 p.m., Blogger mezba said…

    Only one guy commented (it looks like) and I wonder how much of that was by choice LOL

    I have already found my love. Every day I am not with her I miss her. We have been together for about 2 years now.

    Her name is Nissan and too bad gas prices are 1.10/L or I would be with my car more! lol

     
  • At 11:24 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Asmaa: Yes!! and we start sonnets tomorrow - yay! hehe I'm excited (they're not) :D

    Mezba: lol hey, I didn't tell him to comment! No matter what he says, you'll never see me at Dairy Queen, I'm a Baskin Robbins girl at heart - now that's love! Keep it strong with your Nissan :D

     
  • At 9:03 p.m., Blogger nat said…

    Love is a lyric that makes the heart sing :)

    'liya! It's been too long, call me soon and we'll go to the mall!

    I wanted to ask you if you could email me some information on the summer camp/teaching thing you use to do during the summers, I'm really interested in participating in something teaching related since school is done and i'll need loads of experience for next year.

     
  • At 9:40 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Nuffy: definitely! ... but not Shopper's World... there was a shooting there today - can you believe it ?!

    I'll send you that info and something else that I applied to this summer related to teaching - if in case I decide not to do the camp again. That would be fun if we could work together :D

     
  • At 11:01 p.m., Blogger Nauman said…

    Love is a game where both sides win...

    Love is a twisted affair of secrets, lies and deception...

    Love is a melody that you continue to hum well past the end of the song...

     
  • At 11:56 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love is Laura Secord!

     
  • At 2:56 a.m., Blogger qdee said…

    love is...missing him before he leaves...its dreaming of him when he's gone...and never regretting spending all that money and all that love on him after its all over for reasons you coudnt control.

     
  • At 11:39 a.m., Blogger nat said…

    mmm... Laura Secord... I have a love/hate relationship with summer.. love the weather, HATE the fact that I'm not ready for summer clothes, and tempting ice cream doesn't seem to make things better.

    'liya I heard about shoppers world, its really sad but my dad was saying its something about the change in weather that brings out the craziness in people.. so no matter where you are, in a mall or on a university campus you should always have your gaurd up. Incase you haven't heard, last year there was a shooting in Square One mall too... SHOCKING isnt it?

     
  • At 4:46 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Nauman: "Love is a twisted affair of secrets, lies and deception..." yikes, I don't want that kinda love!

    Anonymous: Love is NOT Laura Secord, it's BASKIN ROBBINS!!!!!!

    Qdee: "missing him before he leaves" that's so true it's scary.

    Nuffy: No no no, it's not "mmm... Laura Secord" it's mmm Baskin Robbins (I can't let V win).

    I'll email you the info soon (sometime this weekend) I'm feeling really lazy right now, but don't worry I won't forget!

     
  • At 12:38 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love is.......making someone else happy purely for the sake of it, not wanting anything in return

     
  • At 5:37 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Sumera: Kinda like giving a gift and not expecting anything back - lovely!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home