Ya gotta love ‘em…
In February, when Semester 2 began, I set the visit counter on my Teacher’s website to zero. I put the counter in for curiosity’s sake to see if students would actually check for updated notes and information. Things were going well. Everything was calm and the numbers were increasing in a relatively smooth manner as expected. Nothing out of the ordinary…
THEN, one day I came home, logged on, and was blown away by the sudden increase in number from 500 to 15,000. At first I felt all happy and excited and called V to tell him about my sudden website popularity among 'young learners.' I happily thought to myself that wow, these kids are actually checking the site to see my cool notes for extra reading! V, who likes to burst my happiness, pointed out that these students obviously have no life if they even check my site once on their weekend. However, it wasn’t a love for reading, nor was it having 'no life' that was so much the case (although some could still argue the latter) ...
Next day I walk into the room with an eager smile on my face – ready to teach my class of 3U "super-achievers" with all the energy in the world, and then:
Student X: Ms. C-, I spent 2 hours on the weekend clicking on your site!
Me: Huh?
Student X: Ya! I kept clicking and clicking to see the number go up, student-Y and I were having a competition to see who could raise it more!
Me: Oh... *crestfallen*
Student Y: That’s right! And I clicked it much more than X did!
Student X: No way! I –
They then proceed to argue for the next ten minutes over who clicked my site more. At least I got an answer for the sudden jump in numbers.
On Monday that number tripled.
I decided to have a private meeting with X and Y. Hey, I didn’t want people (and God forbid, other teachers) thinking that I had clicked on the site so many times myself to try to make my site look popular! The highest visitor number a teacher in my school has is 3,000 (my students informed me of this and yes, and I looked it up to confirm). So I told them that I’d much rather appreciate if they read the information I post on the site rather than randomly click to it for fun. They then became all serious and earnestly began explaining to me that if they got the number high enough, maybe the admin at the school would see how much the students liked me and would take me on as a permanent teacher. In other words, they were trying to help me. When they explained that to me, I swear, my eyes just welled up with tears and I had to excuse myself and leave the room because I felt myself getting all emotional. Really? That had been their intent? I thought they were just having stupid useless fun. I dried my eyes, went back to class and began teaching but couldn’t get that out of my head.
With a heavy heart, today I began applying for positions at other schools.
At this moment, the number on my classroom visit counter now stands at 45, 929.
How can I ever leave these kids?
THEN, one day I came home, logged on, and was blown away by the sudden increase in number from 500 to 15,000. At first I felt all happy and excited and called V to tell him about my sudden website popularity among 'young learners.' I happily thought to myself that wow, these kids are actually checking the site to see my cool notes for extra reading! V, who likes to burst my happiness, pointed out that these students obviously have no life if they even check my site once on their weekend. However, it wasn’t a love for reading, nor was it having 'no life' that was so much the case (although some could still argue the latter) ...
Next day I walk into the room with an eager smile on my face – ready to teach my class of 3U "super-achievers" with all the energy in the world, and then:
Student X: Ms. C-, I spent 2 hours on the weekend clicking on your site!
Me: Huh?
Student X: Ya! I kept clicking and clicking to see the number go up, student-Y and I were having a competition to see who could raise it more!
Me: Oh... *crestfallen*
Student Y: That’s right! And I clicked it much more than X did!
Student X: No way! I –
They then proceed to argue for the next ten minutes over who clicked my site more. At least I got an answer for the sudden jump in numbers.
On Monday that number tripled.
I decided to have a private meeting with X and Y. Hey, I didn’t want people (and God forbid, other teachers) thinking that I had clicked on the site so many times myself to try to make my site look popular! The highest visitor number a teacher in my school has is 3,000 (my students informed me of this and yes, and I looked it up to confirm). So I told them that I’d much rather appreciate if they read the information I post on the site rather than randomly click to it for fun. They then became all serious and earnestly began explaining to me that if they got the number high enough, maybe the admin at the school would see how much the students liked me and would take me on as a permanent teacher. In other words, they were trying to help me. When they explained that to me, I swear, my eyes just welled up with tears and I had to excuse myself and leave the room because I felt myself getting all emotional. Really? That had been their intent? I thought they were just having stupid useless fun. I dried my eyes, went back to class and began teaching but couldn’t get that out of my head.
With a heavy heart, today I began applying for positions at other schools.
At this moment, the number on my classroom visit counter now stands at 45, 929.
How can I ever leave these kids?
20 Comments:
At 9:01 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Did you tell this story to V? hehe so cute... I hope I am allowed to say that as a straight guy...
Our college teacher used to put up all class notes and lectures on his site. The problem was he was so boring people stopped going to classes and would just get the notes off his site! He soon caught on and that was the end of that.
At 9:45 p.m.,
Umar said…
aww, that's pretty cute.
not sure if i mentioned this before, but in grade 9 we had this awesome communication tech teacher. she was really cool and everyone in the class loved being there. some other teacher didn't really like her and would often cause problems for her... even making her break down in class one day. she didn't come back the next year and it was a shame.
your story reminded me of that incident.
At 9:56 p.m.,
hema said…
aaww (oh look i'm the first to comment, i love that!)
i'm feeling a bit emotional too, as my kids are all leaving to go onto university this week. they on the other hand don't seem to care and can't wait to get out!
the college has a website, forum and even a college MySpace account, that the students don't seem to want to use, so i've been neglecting my section of the site:( i definitely don't have that many visitors even just for clicking!
At 11:20 p.m.,
'liya said…
Haleem: Guys are definitely allowed to use "cute" to describe this, Umar does so below!
I've heard of what you describe happening but I never had a prof who posted lectures on a website, though I'm sure if I had a boring one (and I can list some here too lol) I most likely would have done the same.
Umar: That reminds me of a teacher I had at one of my placements in university. I loved the school, I loved the students, but the teacher was absolutely horrible to me. I hate people like that, people who want to drive others away from something they might like so much. It just seems so pointless. Sad thing is, this school has an opening for the most perfect full-time Visual arts job I could want, but there's no way I'd apply to that school now. I would never go back to work with that teacher after what I went through.
Hema: They're going to university?!! I thought you were teaching grade 11 like me! lol
You know what, I wanted to add some kind of forum/message board section to my site but I never knew how. I'm going to email you my teaching site so you can give me some constructive criticism on it (it looks really childish right now and I want to fix it up but at least it does the job).
At 2:56 a.m.,
NuRAAN said…
Aww man that is the sweetest gesture ... but who could blame them cos u come across as a reall fantastic teacher..
p.s Yeh qualified chef, but if u read my 2nd post on my blog then u'll c y i'm not workn tht industry for now... no restaurant AS YET, would love to have my own place sum day:) Inshallah.
Oh and my speciality is desserts, cake sweet stuff, anythin choc - truffles the works;)
At 6:01 a.m.,
hema said…
aaw so i wasn't the first to comment, i fogot about the moderation thing!
sure email me your website, but 'm not computer geek (i wish!). the forum is a feature of the virtual learning centre the college uses. they use
moodle
and it's a college wide thing, so the students just have one website and can go to different sections.
i think i teach grade 11 and 12, but we don't have grades here so i'm just guessing. over there, school is complsory until 18, right?
At 10:14 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
Aaaaaaah that is too cute! I am crossing my fingers that it works!
At 11:29 a.m.,
hema said…
and i've just proven my fantastic computer skills by messing up the HTML. sowwy. if you're interested, then just type "moodle" into a search engine. also, some teachers are using blogpot to interact with their students, so you could perhaps set up a separate blog and do that. there are a couple of examples under "teacher blogs" on my blog. i go on their to "steal" the resources sometimes!
At 11:52 a.m.,
Ahmed said…
Wow thats a huge number of clicks! And very sweet of them. Hopefully their plan works :)
At 1:33 p.m.,
rubytuesdays said…
Para tu liya:
http://www.taylormali.com/index.cfm?webid=13
At 3:56 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
*hug*
Sounds like you need a hug more than anything else right now..
At 6:24 p.m.,
'liya said…
UPDATE: 48,108 as of 6:16 Wednesday May 30 *sigh*
Nuraan: Yum, sweet stuff! I just read your second post like you said and I think it's great that you found something that makes you happy still. Inshallah your dream of owning your own restaurant will come true one day soon... and you can always then hire people to work under you so that you don't have to put pressure on your back -let them do the work and you be like the chef who just had to supervise (and can do that sitting in one of those comfy rolling chairs)! When I come to SA to visit you're going to have to make me something (sweet)!
Hema: I'll check out your site :D
I was just reading your comment to me on your blog and think that's a pretty interesting system you got there, two years off before uni eh? It does sound like you have a good job with it being so laidback and not compulsory. The compulsory age in Canada depends on the province but here in Ontario I believe it's 16, that being said, if you don't continue on to grade 11 and 12 you really don't have a future and can't get into university anyway. We don't have a transition period but it's expected you go to grades 11-12 if you want a future and every effort is made to make sure these students stay in school and graduate from grade 12 (and get their high school diploma).
Ruby: I love them! Who would've thought that teenagers could be so cute, so caring, so hmm, just plain nice good people!?
Hema: We're not allowed to have teacher blogs but it would definitely be easier if we could. It has to do with safety and security and we're not supposed to correspond with students via email for that matter too. Our teaching sites are by Teacherweb (http://teacherweb.com/) and they're only activated when linked to the school website.
Ahmed: I don't think the admin check our teacher sites even though they're linked to the school website but... hopefully if one does, something might, could, or possibly, come out of this. Pray for me!
Ruby(Tuesdays): I liked that a lot, I always feel emotional reading things like that! I've read something similar but your link was much better and it's inspired me to do a post on something similar. Thanks :)
Fatima: I do... *sigh* :(
At 10:53 p.m.,
Nikki Neurotic said…
Aww, that's pretty sweet of them...that story made me laugh!
One of my prof. had all his lecture notes online (I had him for two classes), made things nice and simple...though he was a cutie so I didn't mind going to the classes anyway.
At 11:20 p.m.,
mezba said…
wow.. as I said.. they know a cool teacher when they see one. Now if you told them you have a blog ....
I am with Ahmed. Hope their plan works. BTW don't apply to C.W. Jefferys! Did you read what one of their teachers said today, in the Star?
At 12:28 a.m.,
'liya said…
Silverneurotic: How come I didn't have any cute professors? All of mine were old!
Mezba: I was driving home from work the day of the shooting when I first heard on the radio what happened, and maybe it's because it's so close to home and I've heard of that school before, I just started started crying... I had been working with some grade 9's that day...
I'm not surprised of the environment at the school, it's not located in the best part of the city - of course, that doesn't mean that type of behaviour from students should be allowed anyway. I'd be scared to death to work in a school like that. My school seems like a baby school in comparison! If a student swears to a teacher - boom, you can get that student suspended, no questions asked.
At 2:44 a.m.,
NuRAAN said…
Sure, no problem;) Tirimisu? hehe
(though not to boast) - i make killer choc mousse!
At 3:40 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
I think schools like those (CWJ) need school uniforms - strictly enforced and no room for dissimilarities except for religious reasons. Since we can't get caning back in class, some sort of strict punishment should be present for misbehaviours - suspension of driver's licenses should be one (if they are older) or perhaps community service (or suspension).I really think tough love is the answer to some of these bad area schools.
At 5:28 p.m.,
'liya said…
Nuraan: I have room for chocolate mousse too :D
Anwar: I agree with you on tough love, however, I don't think uniforms are the answer - even in uniform students still have ways of showing their gang affiliation in the subtlest ways. Also, when uniform-wearing schools have Casual Friday or whatever their dress in regular-clothes-day is called, that's when the separation of classes becomes quite obvious and is harmful to those students who can't afford to dress up. I think suspension of a driver's lisence is perfect, though I doubt most of them have their own cars. Community service is probably the best way to go - it benefits the student and the community. I don't have a problem wiht suspensions - within reason - zero tolerance can sometimes go too far.
At 1:34 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
Awwww, that is just supercute. You must be a really cool teacher. My students are unlikely to do that for me. :(
At 9:28 a.m.,
'liya said…
Aliana: You're a teacher too? :O
Yay! What grade?
Post a Comment
<< Home