To my pen, forgive me for typing..

The musings of a pilly ... Somewhat of a daily blog about my life and whatever.

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

How does your garden grow?

Remember that rhyme? Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow? I find it fascinating how nursery rhymes and fairy-tales usually have such negative/sexist/racist/no-good-origins but how they evolve into something so commonplace that one would think the rhyme in question here is actually about a garden. My students say I like to "ruin" things for them. I tell them I like to show them reality and that the world out there is tough and we can't hide behind appearances. Appearance VS. Reality - a theme in much of great literature -- what does it mean anyway? I feel as though I've been deceived by appearances many a time... that just because you look a certain way doesn't mean you act a certain way... and that doesn't just apply for women, but for men too. Some people try to put on acts to try to act more religious/wealthy/popular/attractive/whatever it is, and I'm just not buying it anymore. I want to surround myself with open and secure people. People who don't judge, and people who don't bite your head off and go on a rant for more than an hour about the littlest things. There's just so much more important things out there that I simply can't be bothered by the "high school drama" that wants to follow me to my adult life. I prefer leaving that drama for my students to contend with. For them, it's the biggest part of their lives. For me, I think I've moved forward to a new place of understanding.

My head is full of voices that I'm trying to ignore at the present moment, so instead of posting the usual teaching-related/V-related post, I'm going to introduce you to my garden. Mind you, none of these photos have been photo-shopped in any way, they're all in their natural state (with only a little bit of cropping to fit on the page).


Enjoy!




THE FRONT YARD

Still growing:




Betcha didn't know these purple ones are edible!



Up close:



These look like little rubies:



Larger view:




I love this plant, even more so than the flowers. The leaves are all curly.



Up close:



The most interesting thing in the world, this is actually the root of our tree, which is SO large it's beginning to come out the grass (and we have no way to fix it):




Now we get to the important stuff:




Wild roses!




I love this photo, not yet blossomed, but framed against the backdrop of a winter tree:




More:




These are the craziest - in the sun the purple thingies come out, but when the sun is hiding, they go back into their little "caves."



THE BACK YARD

These seem to go on forever. Purple obsessed can you say?



Daffodils!



Some kinda tree:



Up close you can see tons of tiny flowers:



Now these my dear readers are absolutely breathtaking:



They look like something a bride would carry (and they smell heavenly).



These of the purple variety are also quite pretty. I have no idea why this photo came out with black background - I took these in the middle of the day!



This is better:



What did I get out of this whole experience besides the fact that I want to quit my job and become a nature photographer? Well, I found a new friend. This little guy ain't gonna judge me one bit, and if he starts to get a little judgemental or arrogant, well, I'm just going to have to knock him off his high horse and introduce him to my shoe :D




P.S Um.. what I said about wanting to quit my job, I take that back! I think I'll just keep the photo-snapping to a hobby... with 511, 172 clicks on my teacher-site to date, I know I have a good thing going there already lol.

22 Comments:

  • At 3:02 a.m., Blogger hema said…

    "Some people try to put on acts to try to act more religious/wealthy/popular/attractive/whatever it is, and I'm just not buying it anymore"

    i know exactly what you mean and and i'n not buying it anymore either.
    here's to sincere and open people!

     
  • At 3:15 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Liya, I just got your email, are you okay? Does it relate to this blog post? I think it does. You shouldn't be up so late... I saw a message from you and checked the time and was thinking just how do you do it? Or is tomorrow a one of those PD days? If you want to talk more sweetie than you know my #

    These are gorgeous pictures. How did you ever manage to find your new friend? I want a new friend like yours too! Animals are the best friends you could ever have. A dog may be a man's best friend but we women have our snails! Haha, I since we're not judging here, I won't say you could have chosen a better animal for us girls!

    Hope you feel better soon hun :-)

    Bilqis

     
  • At 3:24 a.m., Blogger NuRAAN said…

    something we have in common..yeh i hav an ever-growing passion for takin pics too..:)
    ur so lucky to hav so many pretty plants and flowers growing at ur house! esp since u can take so many wonderful pics of them..
    we dnt have grass, it s all covered with brick flooring:( but i hav potted herbs and a few patches for veggies.. i took snaps of the green and red chillies growing in my backyard!hehe maybe i'l load it sometime so u can see one of fav ingredients!:P

     
  • At 5:11 a.m., Blogger AKA said…

    Wow 'liya, you have a beautiful garden! I wish I had a knack for gardening because though I love flowers and plants, I somehow manage to kill them :(

    As for the appearances v reality bit - it's hard to figure some people out but I've always tried to side-step drama and leave it to those who revel in it. Like you said - life is simply just too short to bother with it! And I think as you grow up, you find more people who are like you in nature so you have a closer knit of friends.

     
  • At 9:36 a.m., Blogger Unknown said…

    Nice garden! Mines fairly dead these days :(

     
  • At 10:50 a.m., Blogger Ahmed said…

    Interesting (the rhyme stuff), I learned something new today :P I like learning this stuff. About a month or so ago I learned about the background of the 'ennie meeni minie mo' song when a person on survivor used it when deciding who to vote for.

    Fake people are such a pain. Sounds like some have been bothering you, hopefully that ends soon.

    Did you get the call?

     
  • At 11:05 a.m., Blogger The friendly lion said…

    your garden is breathtaking!
    i suppose some people are so good with hiding their real selves that very few people get to actually know them, which might be good or bad! i suppose its quite difficult to judge, but if they are just trying to be something they clearly arent it can get very irritating!

     
  • At 3:29 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Those flowers are so pretty!

    Good call with the no more fake!Drama is bad.

    What will you name your new snail? At least I think its a snail...

     
  • At 3:34 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree. Life IS too short to bother trying to be something (or someone) you are not. As for the photos- beautiful!!!

     
  • At 3:41 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    lol....poor snail.
    i feel for the dude!

    sigh i'm surrounded my leaves at present - missing spring/summer :/

    liya...ppl = strange.
    i've just learnt to just go to my "happy place" now when they annoy the crap out of me :)

     
  • At 6:06 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    *** Argh, I just looked at my post now and realized that some of the pics I had posted aren't even showing! How annoying!! FYI the garden looks A LOT better in the pics than in real life, in actuality (I should have taken an overall shot), it needs a lot of trimming, etc, some of the gardens on my street are incredibly gorgeous and ours is probably one of the worst but hey if it looks good in the photos than that's good enough for me! ***

    Hema: I wanted to link to your post "uncovered" because that reminded me a bit of that but I didn't know how to do that cool blockquote thing in the center so I gave up.

    Bilqis: I emailed you back :) Yeah I was up late, wasn't tired so couldn't sleep but boy was I tired in the morning - I didn't have a P.D. Day, a regular school day and I was late again! But hey, what's wrong with snails?! I find them fascinating! Hehe :D

    Nuraan: Yes, upload them, I'd love to see! I wish we could grow something more edible, those purple flowers aren't exactly filling lol. We don't have any vegetables/herbs, there's too many animals around here that like to go digging. OMG would you believe I saw a skunk yesterday morning walk out from under my car!? I need to do a post about that!

    Aka: I can't take any credit because I don't do any gardening myself! My dad mows the lawn and my mom does the gardening. I'm not really a gardening type person though I do appreciate all the work put into it, I don't have the patience for it (but taking the pics was fun)!

    Sumera: Thank you! It looks a lot better in the pics than in actual life though!

    Ahmed: If you're talking about the Eenie Meenie rhyme that uses the word "nigger" instead of "tiger" than I know what you're talking about. I was pretty shocked when I found that out, it's pretty brutal.

    I've had it up till here *points to neck* with fake people. They act one way one day and another way the next day and I don't know what the hell they want from me.

    To answer your question, I didn't get the call. They said they would call whether or not I got the job but I'll assume I didn't get it, which is just as well... I feel a bit worried now since I never heard from the other school I applied to but I also feel a bit relieved, I'll talk about that later... back to the drawing board! *sigh*

    The Friendly Lion: Hehe thanks, but I must make it clear it looks a lot better in the pics than in reality!

    Irritating indeed! - there's only so much one can take. And you know after my "situation" here I wasn't even mad, I was just incredibly surprised at how some people react to things. What's the saying, "making a mountain out of a mole hill or something" ?

    Ruby: Drama is very bad. It's high school. And high school is over. It was over a long time ago. Your post on friends made me reflect on this.

    Hehe.. it IS a snail! I'm unsure of his name yet. He introduced himself to me as "Snail" so I think I'll keep it like that nice and simple. I'd go visit him to hang out now but I don't know where he is so I'll let him find me :D

    Brandy: Life is short and I plan to make the most out of it and be the best person I can be in my time here, God - willing.

    Fatima: Hey, I didn't step on him yet! LOL I don't think I could ever step on him anyway, he's just too cute!

    Usually when people annoy me I brush it off and ignore it but there comes a point when you have to question what the point of everything is. That's how it was for me. I'm just too busy to deal with the unnecessary things people overeact to. Therefore this post was to step back, assess the situation, calm down, and take the next steps. It worked, I feel a lot better and learned that some people need to learn how to do the same. Maybe I can say my blog is my "happy place"? But that doesn't sound cool .. I need to get me a cool happy place!

     
  • At 6:55 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Those are really nice pics. I like the plant picture too. I'm not much of a flower girl but I like plants in all shapes and sizes. The more unusual the shape the better!

     
  • At 9:02 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Anonymous: I'm obsessed with those crazy funny shaped plants! I don't even know the name of this one, do you? It starts of growing small in a round circle and then spreads out everywhere.

     
  • At 12:37 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Liya, you have a beautiful(and it looks like BIG) garden.

    But please, PLEASE, fix your layout :-( I can't read half of your stuff unless I select and highlight - and you are one of my personal favs!

     
  • At 2:47 a.m., Blogger NuRAAN said…

    Will upload those pics in a future post hehe:) but right now i can't snap up any great pics because all my favourite herbs need to be replanted. And i would like to have a new patch for more exciting edible/exciting things.

    A skunk??! i'd run..i'm a scaredy-cat (excuse the pun) when it comes to animals.. ok i like cats but if i saw a skunk i'd porbably run back inside LOL!

     
  • At 8:05 a.m., Blogger sara said…

    i used to eat those purple flowers when i was little. well not so much eat as pull the pettles/buds off and suck all the sweet sap from them.

     
  • At 6:39 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Haleem: Aww, only since you say I'm one of your personal favs I'll try again to fix! Really, I've tried, and someone else has tried for me, but neither worked. I now have a very kind offer from another blogger to help fix it, only I still have to email her, thank you for reminding me!

    Nuraan: Oh gosh... I now have TWO skunk stories. He made me late for work today! My students thought I wasn't going to show and they were locked out of our classroom till I arrived! Stupid skunk!! (I say "he" because it looks like a boy skunk :D)

    Sara: Yeah I used to do that too! I should have been more clear, instead of just saying "edible," I should have explained how exactly they're edible - hopefully nobody who read this went out and popped the whole thing in their mouth lol.

     
  • At 5:03 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Incredibly beautiful :)

    I lovvvvvvve flowers !

    You have such a natural garden :)

    It's simply beautiful :)

     
  • At 10:38 p.m., Blogger Umar said…

    i'm a little late on commenting on this entry, but my monitor problem has been fixed now and i can see again!

    a designer friend of mine wrote & illustrated a book about the evil origins of nursery rhymes and "mary mary..." was in it too.

    pretty nasty stuff.

     
  • At 11:25 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    Taqdeer: Somehow I just new you'd love this hehe :) Stay tuned for more, it seems like new flowers are popping up everyday!

    Umar: That sounds like an interesting book! Was it published? I'd be interested in learning more, students crave this kind of stuff lol.

     
  • At 5:33 p.m., Blogger Umar said…

    No, it was for a project in her Book Design course so there was only 1 copy.

    If I can find it on her website or somewhere else, I'll let you know.

     
  • At 7:58 p.m., Blogger 'liya said…

    That would be great! Please do let me know if you find out :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home